Question For A Smart Person That Know Kohler Engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milo, Jan 29, 2006.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

I JUST BOUGHT A USED DIXIE CHOPPER A 1994 20HP KOHLER MAGNUM ENGINE AND IT HAS THE BIG FILTER OFF THE SIDE BY THE OIL COOLER. ANYWAY I TOOK OFF THE FILTER TODAY TO CHANGE THE OIL AND IN THERE I MEAN WHERE YOU SCREW THE OIL FILTER ON TO THE BASE THE USUALLY BIG HOLE FOR THE OIL TO FLOW BACK INTO THE ENGINE HAS A BIG BOLT IN IT LIKE BLOCKING OIL TO FLOW THAT WAY.. IT DOES STILL FLOW OUT THE THE WHOLE TO THE FILTER BUT I DONT KNOW HOW THE OIL GETS BACK INTO THE ENGINE. I GUESS MY QUESTION IS SHOULD THIS BE IN THERE???? I HAVE WENT TO ANTO TECHNOLOGY CLASS IN HIGH SCHOOL AND DO KNOW STUFF ABOUT ENGINES BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BOLT THERE BLOCKING OIL TO FLOW BACK IN. I DID PULL OFF THE HOSE THAT THE OIL SHOULD FLOW BACK TO THE OIL COOLER AND THERE IS OIL FLOWING OUT.. HOW I DONT KNOW. BUT ANYWAY JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF THAT IS HOW ITS SUPPOST TO BE OR IF THATS A TRICK TO RAISE OIL PRESSURE IN THE ENGINE.. ANY ANY ANY IDEAS THOUGHTS WOULD BE GREAT..:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING ON THIS POST. LOL:confused:

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Try posting this in the mechanic and repair section and you might get a quicker response even though the techs will probably still read it. Two good ones come to mind fixer67 and restrorob are very sharp on the kohler and there are more but these 2 have always had a quick answer for me.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The large bolt is holding the sandwich adapter to the oil filter mount on the engine. It is required unless you want to remove the adapter and the Amsoil bypass filter (not recommended). The oil gets back into the engine from a hose that runs from the Amsoil bypass filter to a T fitting on the oil drain.

5. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, if it is not the main mountng middle screw it will be a bolt with a reed valve attached . oil flows out of the pump into cooller thru cooler and out perimeter of filter base and into filter back into engine via middle screw when oil is hot . when oil is cold and there is to much resistance to flow thru cooler oil then short cuts to filter via reed valve. This can also be safety bi pass if cooler is blocked. There is also a spring and ball set up [this sounds like your type] hope this helps TOMO

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Next time drop your caps lock, I had to take my glasses off to read it. ;)

The Guy's above answered your question.