Question for all of the 19hp kawasaki owners!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, Oct 2, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Been doing some research on mowers for the past few weeks because I will be buying one in Feb. I have noticed that LOTS of the different companys offer the 19hp kawaski on the less expensive models. I need something to fit on a 5' trailer so I was looking for something around 48-52" deck. I came across the exmark lazer z hp 50" deck with 19hp kawasaki.
    I know someone that has a John Deere 60" deck 25hp kawaski and it bogs down a good bit in grass. since this happens, It leads me to wonder how a 19hp would do on only 10 inches less of a cut.

All in all, How do your 19hp kawaski engines hold up on your riders? What inch cuts do you have them on??
  2. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a toro Z with the 48 turbo force deck, and the 19 kaw motor. It does well. I wouldnt go over the 48 inch deck though. Also, if you are looking at a zero turn, be careful with that 5 foot trailer. My 48 toro, is 6 feet plus in length.....(you may talking about width, but then you can't go bigger than a 48, cause a 60 inch cut is gonna be about 5.5 feet in total width) Suggestion: Buy a 48 or 60 walkbehind, use the money you saved to buy a bigger trailer.....
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard of people fitting 54" decks on a 5x10 trailer. I will either get a 48" or 52" commercial deck.To me, a 48" is perfect size. Right now I have a 44" that goes 6mph. Most 48" go 10mph. It will be a major upgrade reguardless.
  4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Don't assume that the width of mowing capability is the actual width of the mower. In my experience, 52" ZTs are about 55" inches wide. Also, make sure you measure the trailer to make sure it will fit. The 5foot may be the outside dimension and you may not have a full 60 inches to play with.

My 6X12 trailer is actually limited to a width of 62.5inches because of the side rails at the entrance and because the 6foot measurement is actually the external width. And keep in mind, that the front tires on a ZT need space to turn around when you are backing up. If you don't have sufficient space for the wheels to turn, you are going to needlessly bang up your trailer and your mower trying to back out. With my trailer, I would limit myself to a 52" mower. With a 5foot trailer, I would limit myself to a 48" trailer, unless it didn't have side rails. And even then, I would be careful. I was looking at a Bobcat the other day and the wheels, not the mower are the widest point. So even though it had a 48" deck, the wheels were still 55" across.

As far as the engine. It seems the 19HP Kawasaki is more powerful than many of the other engines with a higher HP designation. I frequently see 19HP Kaws being offered on the exact same set up with 21,22, and 23 HP engines of other makes. I haven't owned one myself though, so I don't know how it would hold up. Although I myself asked the question before about a Kaw 19/52" deck combo, and I don't recall anyone complaining.
  5. AdvoCare15

AdvoCare15 LawnSite Member

Deck technology is important. If the manufacturer has put time into making a quality deck, you won't need a huge amount of HP. You will only find that with upper end equipment. If you are doing this commercially (I'm assuming you are by the mention of your trailer), then you only want to go commercial grade. You may sacrifice deck width, but your warranty will be better and the machine will last longer for the simple fact that it was made to run 8-10 hrs a day 5-7 days a week. It's not always about the engine.

There are also a lot of variables in this. What is the make of the mower? How heavy is it? How large are the wheel motors/pumps? How big are the drive wheels? What's the terrain you are mowing? so on, and so on. Honestly, the best thing to do would be to narrow down the brand you want, and have the dealer(s) bring out demo units for you to try. And everything else mentioned here above is gold.
  6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 48''JD with 19hp kawaski.the motor is great.i mulch so it can pull it down sometimes but not much.if you go bigger than 48'' then you need a big motor.i have a 5ft wide trailer and i have about 2in on each side and thats the inside trailer.
  7. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

I have a 19 hp kaw 52 inch wright stander couldn't pass it up with 100 hours for 4500 I upgraded from a 15 hp 48 belt drive walkbehind Its much nicer to ride though I do bog a little bit in wet thick grass Needless to say when the engine goes I'll be bolting a 23 or a 25 on it but remember a stander is lighter than a rider by a few hundred pounds you need the hp