Question for all you Herbicide Experts...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by csmlawn, Aug 15, 2008.

1. csmlawn

csmlawn LawnSite Member

I've read here that the best time to apply herbicides for turf weeds is when the lawn needs cutting. Reason being is there is more weed present that can absorb the chemical. However, I asked my new lawn care contractor this question and he said right after a lawn has been cut. He feels that the blades are open and more vulnerable to the herbicide. He likes to hit the lawns no later then 3 days after a lawn has been cut.

You're thoughts???

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Most weeds die from trans-location. Inthat they transfer the toxins to the roots where they cut off the supply of food from the stem and foliage. Or, the toxin can preform a growth inducer and the weed dies prematurely. Other herbicides actually burn the plant leaf cells and the plants dies from the inability to take in carbon dioxide and preform photosynthesis.
    In any account, I prefer to have my clients mow three days before I apply any herbicide and not mow for at least 4 days after. Some labels even state it this way. I think Sedgehammer explains it in the label. A good clue is that the applications of a sticker means that the herbicide needs plant structure to attach itself.
    My opinion, I know but I have no problems or grips from clients with weed kills. However, I'm on those lawns every month or less to check the water and irrigation.
    You'll get conflicting opinions, I'm sure.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i agree the more leaf exposed the more herbicide gets on the weed, the better odds of success. it a perfect world grass geting cut 1x a wk 3 days before or after cutting

4. junior091273

junior091273 LawnSite Member

I've had good results with Sedge Hammer with cut and uncut apps.

Great Product.

5. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

ditto. The goal is to wait till right in the middle between mowings or at least a couple days after mowing. But you're much better off spraying right after you mow, rather than mowing right after you spray.

when spraying nutsedge with sulfentrazone, I like to let it get tall.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Best kill on weeds is when they are fully grown -- this way more AI (active ingredient) can be absorbed by the plant. Then wait 2 to 4 days before mowing or watering. Hard-to-kill weeds, wait 3 or 4 days. It is bad advice to mow off leaf tissue before spraying weeds. :hammerhead:

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Weeds should be actively growing and healthy when applying herbicides.

Now...if you are mowing HIGH, that makes a difference, but if you are scalping then I would say that your weed kill success will be limited!

I would not ever recommend mowing before spraying.

This is also why the label states to not mow 24 hours before or after an application!

If it made the product work better do you think it would state that? :dizzy:

8. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

I'm a 3 and 3 guy.

Treat 3 days after mowing, don't mow for 3 days.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure mowing makes any difference. But I have heard it is best to spray at night. If the weed control drys on the leaf before it is absorbed--it is never absorbed at all. I would like to see some university research on this.

On the other hand. Quicksilver (carfentrazone) and Dismiss (sulfentrazone) supposedly will not work in the absence of sunlight--also Octane. Do I have it right Shane?

10. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

you might be right on this. I know Scythe works much better in the sun, than in the shade.