Question for all

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Sep 2, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys who are firefighters, how many accounts can you guys handle on your days off. Right now, I can only cut on the weeknds so this is limiting mr too some of my customers and my dad alreay thinks I have enough. Currently I am about $2000 short of where I want to be for next season but i know this fall will put me where I want to be and maybe even ahead. I am also considering what kind of equipment I should get for next season when I expand. I was wondering if i should get an enclosed 6x12 trailer with racks which would only leave me enough money to purchase another w/b and not a rider. Or the other option would be to purchase an open 6x12 trailer with racks and buy a rider. Probably a 60" or a 61". Which package would you take. I'm also gonna purchase 2 Stihl FS-85's and probably another backpack. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Toys are more fun than trailers. Buy the Z! One question, why are you buying 2 more trimmers? Just curious.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

They are "toys" for the first week then they just become work to operate all day. Buy what you need... not what is more fun to play with.

4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Scag 48,
    yes I will be buying 2 trimmers and proably a Stihl BR-420 Magnum.

Evan 528,
    I agree with your comment. i need something that is great on hills but is quick touhg oo.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

That's true, but do you really need an enclosed trailer? Is theft a problem? That seems to be the big deciding factor and how much garage space you have available.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

how about a stander, there good on hills and quick on open areas and save trialer space. I would also buy a bigger trailer than a 6x12 though, you will eventually need more space.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Scheduling wasn't a problem for me. I am a volunteer FF. I can see where it would be harder if you have days on and days off.

8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

If you run a 24/48 schedule or a modified Detroit or the other schedule where you have a 1 on 1 off 1on 1off 1 on and 4 off it would be near impossible to schedule a business such as this.

9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Why would being a voluteer firefighter hurt your schedule? Supporting yourself and your family come before charity. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking it, but your priorities should come first!!!

10. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

If you run a 24/48 schedule or a modified Detroit or the other schedule where you have a 1 on 1 off 1on 1off 1 on and 4 off it would be near impossible to schedule a business such as this.