Question for BigW!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Mar 11, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Im asking you because I know you sent out 10,000 post cards recently. How many people have you had to deal with that werent interested after you quoted price?
    Ive gotten 8 calls so far, One was a one time job. The others(even at rock bottem $25-$30.00 per cut) werent interested after the quote. Im very friendly with them. I tell them what all is getting done for the price...... Sometimes I think they just want the estimate for the word "FREE". Even at the beginning they dont show much interest. I know its early in the season, Im just trying to figure out what these people are wanting?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Well first of all no one is calling you just because you have a "free" estimate..all estimates are free,well atleast in this business. I would honestly say that maybe 2-3 people gave me the brush off after hearing my price and i just chalk them up as part of business { you cant please them all }.
    I dont know you so its hard to say what you are doing wrong but i would bet its either in your approach or "how you word" what you say! Remember you have 20 secounds to make a first impression...how is your first impression?
    If you can honestly say that your price is not to high then perhaps it may be to low and your customer sense's one of 2 things...1 you seem desperate and not expierenced or 2 if your that low how good of a job are you going to do?
    You have to go to the door with confidence and your head high looking clean and like you know what you are doing or they will sense it! How can you tell me someone was not interested in a 25 cut unless the lawn was 5,000 feet and even then id have to say it was not the "high price". Listen sometimes your'e going to get tire kickers but not in droves like this so you are doing something to turn them off right away and you have to figure it out fast.

Trust me these people are not calling lcos for the hell of it,they want service. How is the vehicle that you pull up in, how are you dressed,how do you walk up to the door? Do you stumble with your words...look i could go on all day here but i think you get my drift and if you really want some help just call me tomorrow and ill gladly give you some great tips ok. you can get my # on my website!

3. stevenf

The vehicle that I am in is old but has a new paint job and I ALWAYS have it well cleaned. I usualy wear jeans with a collard shirt and casual shoes. I always approach with confidence and a hand shake with "How are you doing?, Im Steven, Nice to meet you"
    I then proceed to ask what services they are looking for. Once they tell me, I look over the lawn or flowerbed, I give them a price and what the price includes. There usually response is "Ok, well Im going to talk to my husband" or " Ok, well Im going to think about it and get back to you."
    I then end with something like, " Ok, well talk to your husband and give me a call, thank you, have a good afternoon"

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I think instead of just telling them a price, you should make an estimate form to fill out while on the property. Ask if you can go to your truck for a minute to finish it up and then present your form completely filled out to them.

5. stevenf

Im comparing my prices to the $35.00 minimum companies around here. I bid properly and its rock bottem price as in, any cheaper and we wouldnt make any profit. $25-$30 a week is 1/8 acre-1/4 acre lots with small backyards because of driveways or porches.

6. bigw

exactly but carry the form up to the door on a clip board,it makes you look so much more professional.

7. CreativeEdge

CreativeEdge LawnSite Member

Steven,
    Also, you are selling your business...do not leave it up to the customer to call you back. Tell them to discuss it and ask them what time this evening would be a good time to call to discuss the estimate w/ both of them, or say ok, i will give you a call tomorrow to check up on it. You have to engage your customers, you want their business not to show them that you are a pushover. NEVER leave the ball in their court.

8. stevenf

9. bigw

Does this vehicle have a logo or signage at all on it? Trust me if not invest in it,if you could see or hear all the complimenets i get on my logo and truck before i even start talking you would die.Sometimes i swear my trucks appearance gets my foot in the door and then i take over from their. Look like i said call me tomorrow!

10. stevenf

Just have the paper to show them a write up or give them the written estimate?