1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for Bobby....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 3, 2005.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Why are you in the lawn business?

I can't remember a time when you said anything positive about it and most of your posts are about some problem you are having. It seems to cause you a lot of headaches and stress.

Just curious................Life's too short to be this unhappy.

Joel B.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

joel, being completely serious here..... i love the lawn business. i HATE, the traditional way, that lawnboys conduct thier bizness. so, i try, and try, and try, to reverse this process. how? simple, i try and run my bizness, the way i see other profesional business owners (not lawn businesses, they don't qualify as pros) run thier bisinesses. there are obsticles, because lawnboys as a whole, have set a standard so low, that it is almost irreversable. and i don't mean low, as far as pricing, or being illigitimate, or anything like that. the lowest standard the common lawnboy has, and has always had, is a self worth issue. the common lawnboy really believes, that the client is his boss. this is mistake #1. other mistakes involve doing extra work, and taking the "hit", because of weather related issues. another, is not setting due dates, and not keeping control of late payers. the list goes on and on. the industry as a whole, is in a big, big, BIG mess. i can't tell you how many times i've heard things like, " late fee? what is this, late fee? " or" due date? what does this mean?" or "surcharge? i have never, been treated like this, from my lawn guy before." yea, guess what sugarplum, YOU ARE NOW! i have a great accountant, filthy rich, and hard as a rock when it comes to business. he said to me, "bob, i been in business 32 yrs, the facts are facts, i have never seen a lawn company amount to anything, they all struggle, and end up out of business, one way or another. they may look good on the outside, but i know the internal numbers, and they are all bad. it's not for lack of trying, it's not for lack of hard work, fact is, most of them are idiots, and are not businessmen." i didn't create things like..... a client expecting leaf cleanup for free, or a client expecting extra high grass mowed for a single mow price, or clients expecting me to spray 2, 3, 4 times, for the price of one aplication...i didn't create this mess, I INHERITED IT! from the schmucks who have been in this business before me. for the love of god.....carrying in groceries, bringing in garbage pails, sitting down for a cool glass of lemonade, and some home baked cookies. YOU'RE IN THE WRONG BIZNESS LADIES, you should have been carreer boyscouts
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya Bob, this industry has set a very low standard. The lawn business has a very high profit potential, we should be treated like plumbers and electricians (Respect)
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I see your point, but consider this:

There are two lawn equipment dealers that are exactly the same with the only differences being that dealer #1 lets you slide on your payment a little, sharpens your blades for free occasionally, gives you coffee and donuts when you come in, etc. While dealer #2 smacks you upside the head with his shovel if you are late, charges for every nut, bolt, and screw and never gives anything away for free.

Now, I am not saying who is right or wrong but who are most customers going to frequent? Word of mouth travels a long way................good and bad.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if there are only two, then #1 will be out of bizness soon enough, and you'll have no choice, but to use #2
  6. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yeah but which one is still in business 5 years from now??
  7. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

Both would probably still be in business , #1 is drawing customers because of his willingness to work with there situation, #2 is a hard nose watching every dollar and mabey shying some customers away, question is- who is making the most profit?
  8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

On a sale and service for free etc #2 is making more for each unit he sells. No free blade sharpening , late fees, no coffee or donuts etc.

But #1 looks like the best candidate for making an overall profit because of his better dealings with the customer. I'd
    say he probably sells a lot more units because of the way he treats the customers.

9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

it happened here. #1 dealer is now out of business and #2 is growing.
  10. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

no the point he is making is that alot of us lawn guys get close to our customers and we do extras for them for free.. i am in this boat and sometimes (most of the time) i dont want to stand and hang out with a customer.. let me cut and get on to the next job is what i like...
    and this is why most of us are nice, to have customers that will stay for many years....
    one more thing.. donuts, soda's and that stuff is nice but so is charging what lawns are worth and if we all did we would have our own money to go buy them ourselfs.. so back to your 2 busiinesses yes they would both be in business but the guy that does nothing extra free is a more happy man:p