Question for bp sprayer users

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cleancutccl, May 10, 2005.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sp 4 gallon backpack sprayer, sometimes I use it for blanket sprays on smaller properties. The question is when you run out of mixed chemical where do you get more water? Do you get water from the customers, or do you go back to the shop to fill up? I've been filling up at the customers place, 4 gallons is nothing to fuss over and it saves me on fuel running to fill up at the shop. I know I should get a tank for the back of the truck but I'm going to be ordering a skid sprayer in the near future and am saving money for that investment. Thanks for you replies
  2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Just fill up a few 2.5 gallon containers wit water and keep in your bed -- You probbaly ony need 5 -10.

Better perception tot e customer -- besides it is illegal to fill up at a customers yard.
  3. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

That was the other question, is it illegal. Well I guess I'll run to home depot and buy some water tanks, got my next round to start on friday.
  4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Check your own state laws!

It is not illegal to get water from your customer's property here in FL and we have some pretty tough laws.

Listen you are only talking about 4-5 gallons and it does not make you look unprofessional. Oh and may I ask do you have a license? And how long have you been spraying?

Bottom line a few gallons is not a big deal.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I use customers if needed. I am thinking of getting a nurse tank (25 gallons) to refill from.
  6. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I keep two Igloo 5 gal water jugs on my truck. One for the emergency water requirement, and the other for refilling my sprayer. If I fall a wee bit short after the first tank, I have water on hand. Here, it is State law that when you are applying pesticides or herbicides each person must have 5 gallons/day for washing or flushing out eyes in case of emergency.
  7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I had that problem as well. Bought a 50 gallon skid and in the future I can fill a z-spray from it....thinking ahead!
  8. River Parish Lawn Care

River Parish Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I usually just put two 120 qt ice chests in the bed of the truck and fill them before heading out. That has proven to be plenty enough so far.
  9. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

I usually carry a well-drilling set-up and just drill a new well to meet my water refill needs. I am only joking....I have had numerous customers ask if I would like to refill using their hose. I haven't had any customers say "no" if I asked.