Question for Bullrider owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, Jan 27, 2004.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Bullrider last season. I like it (switch between that and the Proslide every couple weeks for variety) BUT -- when turning have to be VERY careful. The tires often dig into the lawn when turning from the sidewalk, sometimes badly ripping the lawn. It's because the tires are almost totally flat due to the tread design (I also use minimal air in them for a smooth ride). Has anyone replaced the tires on their Bullrider for this reason? If so, please let me know what kind of tire you switched to. I don't mind buying new tires AND rims for it, but don't want to modify the Bullrider for them to fit, as Switchless has done.

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You answered your own question. Because the tires are low profile, you can't run them too soft. In time you may actually pull one off the rim. Either increase pressure or you can change to a higher profile without changing anything but just the tires.
    FWIW, I've increased my tire pressure a bit and the corning has greatly improved.
    DP

3. naturescape

Pete,

But it's ALSO due (actually, in most part) to the design of the tire that comes with the Bullrider. The corners of the tires are almost totally flat. Any other tires work better? I'm finding it very hard to find other types of tires in this size.

4. Doc Pete

OK, so they're squared off, which means there's more contact with the ground. I don't see what that has to do running flat. They run flat because they are too soft. As I mentioned a standard size tire will be a higher profile, which means the sidewall is thicker, which gives a softer ride. They should still fit, too.
    DP

5. naturescape

OK, so they're squared off, which means there's more contact with the ground.

Pete,
    Right. I don't have a problem with flats. I have a problem with the fact that since they are kind of "squared off", when I turn around they dig right into the turf, if the turf is raised at all above the sidewalk.

6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

My bullrider is undergoing welding surgery, bigger tires --- I want a smoother ride. The tires are rounded off as well (not flat)

I'll post when its done.

7. Doc Pete

How much do you weigh?? My helper is 185, stock bullrider and no problems.......
    DP

8. naturescape

How much do you weigh??

Small framed guy here -- I weigh anywhere from 135-155 depending on the time of year, and how hard I'm working.

9. Doc Pete

OK, I'm 155, too. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you.. Maybe you could take a pic of the grass. You are using the fixed mode, with the wheels pivoting??? Is it when you pivot that's the problem????

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm alot bigger than you guys but my bullrider tires will dig sometimes too. (or the platform will dig) If I am turinign on a sidewalk and the turf is raided above the walk sometimes I just take a step off the sulky while the tires ride up on to the turf then back on. Hardly slows me down. That's a great featur of a stand up sulky. I would like larger and wider tires ot it also.