1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for companys in Ontario

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 7, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I am about to get my feet wet in the lawn care business. Im just wondering if I need to collect PST? I know I need to collect GST but PST seems to be a cloudy area. Also do we need any special license in Ontario? I don't think so but I figured id ask anyway.

2. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

You do not have to collect PST for lawn cutting I'm not sure how it works if you resell something such as a shrub to a customer. I believe (unless it has changed) that you only have to regsister and collect GST if you gross over $30,000. You will need a licence for pesticide application (if you will be doing that). In some towns/cities you may need a business licence and not in others. Check your local by-law dept. about business licences. There was a business start-up hotline that was set up a few years ago for Ontario, check in the Blue Pages of the phonebook for the numbers and double check on this info.:canadaflag: