Question for DANE owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tilly, Apr 20, 2001.

1. tilly

tilly LawnSite Member

Ok so I got a new Dane chariot 61" love how it handles/runs but I'm not so crazy about the cut it gives me! Keep in mind that this is the first ZTR rider that I've ever owned.
    The problem I have is that it seems to scalp the S#%T out of the turf. Now I don't really know if this is a mid mount problem or if I just don't have the rollers set properly. Also why don't the 61" Dane have a front center roller butthe 48" Danes do? I've also noticed that alot of the other brands have center rollers on the 61" decks any reason Dane don't?
    So tonight I just adjusted the rollers down one hole, now they will be in the center hole ,hope this will help eliminate some of the scalping - (plowing,rolling turf,discing)
    Also one other thing I noticed- when I come to the top of a semi steep hill and just break the top (like when the front wheels ride a couple feet on the level ground the deck is in the dirt again! I'm guessing this is just a problem with the mid-mount deck?
  2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Tilly, not sure about the roller question, in fact im not even sure where ours is. As far as the cut, i think its beautiful!!! It only got better when we put doubles on, thanks to the mulching ability. I have no problems with scalping or anything of the like and i do a complex with many hills!! When i do scalp its always operator error. Maybe you just need a little practice, after all this is your first one.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

How high are you mowing and how many spacers are above the blades?
  4. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

Guntruck,Kirby, what set-up do you use for the double blades? (gator/regular or gator/hi-lift). I had the scalping problem with my 52 surfer, so I raised the blades 1/2 inch (spacers). What would be the spacer requirement for double blades?
  5. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno your problem. My Scamper is set at 3" and I have never ever scapled. Only thing I can think of is your cutting height. Or my be you need more practice.
  6. LiVe2

LiVe2 LawnSite Member

I have a 61 dane and I never scalp unless I cut lower then 2 1/2 inches. The thing I dont like about the 61 its really jumpy when you take off
  7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

For the doubles im using the marbane blades with gators on top. It had three washers on top of the regular high lifts so i took 1 washer off to compensate for the thickness of another blade being installed. It now has 2 washers and two blades on each spindle, works wonderfully. I dont know much about those washers kirby was asking about i thought they were just set like they should be from the factory, i didnt know they could or should be adjusted to specific needs if thats what he means. =)