Question for DFW Area Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Oct 8, 2003.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is my first season and I have all my residential contracts on weekly service. The contract specifies weekly service from late March through mid-November, but the customer can cancel at any time.

Anyway, I've noticed the tiff/hybrid bermuda is really growing slow right now...early October. The common bermuda is still growing ok, and the dallis grass loves this environment, but the clean lawns with now weeds and only tiff/hybrid bermuda just don't seem to need mowing weekly this time of year.

I'm scared to death that if I keep showing up weekly, they're gonna get mad and cancel service. I lecture all my customers when they sign up about skipping and I even have them initial a line item on the form about skipping. It worked well in the summer drought, but now I'm getting nervous.

I was thinking about leaving a note on their doors next week when I mow that says something like "We are switching from weekly to bi-weekly service for the remainder of the season, which is targeted for mid-November. If you still want to go with weekly service, please call the office." Or something to that effect.

Obviously, if I do that, I'm cutting my annual revenues from 34 cuts to 32 cuts per year. I know it's not much, but when you're only working a little over half the year in the first place, EVERY cut matters.

I need help with this. I just don't know what to do on this.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. thomaslawncare

thomaslawncare LawnSite Member

I've told all of my customers that I will be mowing weekly for sure until then end of october. Then 2-3 times in novemember, once in dec, jan, and feb...then clean up in march, then go at it again in april. I have had no complaints. I have told them if they do not need it to call me 2 days in advance and I will skip it. I think if they know this going into it they will not get mad because you gave them a way out....but the ball is in their court...
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The dry conditions and cool nights have really slowed , if not stopped the growth of Bermuda and St. Aug. grasses. As of this week, all of my properties are going to be mowed biweekly, except for a couple of real weedy commercial properties. If I did not switch them to every two weeks, most of my customers would call and ask me to. When the leaves start dropping, most will go back to weekly for mulching leaves.:D
  4. I am Me

I am Me LawnSite Member
    from D/FW

Mowing man has pegged it. Talk to your customers. Advise them. You are th expert. All of my weeklies I have discussed the weather with them andhow it effects growth, and my services. Most just say, "Whatever you think best."

If need be show up each week, take a walk around, and leave them an updated report. it is a great way to suggest other services while keeping the value of your service.

If it comes down to losing the account and the money, show up and pull weeds. At least they know you care.

Most will respect that.
  5. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

On the other hand it has been all but dry this week south of Dallas I have 4" sitting in my gauge as of this morning. I am having the same probs with my customers, but I think once the sun comes out the bermuda will try to spring up a little at least enough so it looks cut when your done. Like I am Me said now is the time to set yourself apart from the rest and pull weeds clean up garbage and leaves unless you live around me. It will work out alright.