1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for dump bed owners...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GrassBlaster, Dec 9, 2003.

1. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

In my readings, I have read alot of you saying that the addition of a dump truck / dump bed made you a lot of money.

What are you doing with them? What kind of stuff are you hauling?

I'm looking at a one ton truck with a flat dump bed, then built rails
  2. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 Dodge with an 11' flatbed dump, I haul a lot of bark mulch in the spring as well as a hardpack I spread with a york rake, leaf cleanup and debris slides out with no issues and sometimes I will clean up the occasional tree and bring home the firewood which unloads so much easier, time is money. Whether the truck is just making you more money or you can charge for it specifically, with the cummins diesel I think I can run it just as cheaply as a big gas engine so it really doesn't cost me any more I don't believe.
  3. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a kit that made my pickup bed dump. Bought it used with the bed from an old Ford('76) and mounted it on my '73 1 ton pickup. Had it for 10 yrs. Worked out great for me and I wish I still had it. I had added a cab guard to the front of the bed and higher side boards which added to the structural strength of the bed so I didn't have any problems with it cracking anywhere. I used it for mulch, topsoil, firewood, and some gravel. Northern sells the same ones both for pickups and flatbeds and it's worth the $$$. Anything that saves you time and makes your job easier will pay for itself in the long run.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A dump deck is the only way togo if your in the landscape bus or like I'am in the rubbish removal and flatdecking it saves time and your back. I sold my truck with a dump deck and now I'am kicking myself in the azz I need to put a dump deck on my truck again.

I never thought I needed one until I owned one and now I realize its worth gold especially if your hauling sand,gravel,topsoil firewood,brush etc.

I have been debating hoist choices I never had a scissor hoist my concern is the scissor hoist not being strong enough to dump the loads. My previous truck had a 3 stage telescoping post hoist it would dump anything that I put on the truck but the hoist requires a dog house in the head ache rack.

My other concern is dump angle I want something that is going to dump a 12' long flatdeck more than 45 degrees 50 would be what I want.
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I installed a Northern kit on my flat bed 3/4 ton a few years ago. Installed in one week end (I love to weld and fabricate). Its one of those thing that after you have one, you wonder how you got along without. I get dirty looks at the land fill from other guys scooping out their beds by hand when I pull up, flip a switch and dump in 45 seconds what takes others 20 minutes.:mad:
    Get one, youll love it.
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Stick with a telescoping hoist on a long body. I have a 10' body with an 8 ton Venco scissor hoist and it won't lift a 2 ton load if the load isn't as far back as possiable.

7. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

We bought Rugby hoist and can`t stop using it. I hauled a load of junk today for a lady. Here we have a leaf box on top of our flatbed.

8. Gravel Rat

Thanks Gene that is good to know I'am concerned with a scissor hoist lifting the loads I want. A F-Superduty has no problems packing 4 tons of gravel I run a 12x8 deck with most of the weight forward of the axle.

My old 88 F-Superduty I had close to 9000lbs of gravel on the truck and the telescoping post hoist dumped it like nothing :D
  9. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

Our Rugby Scissor hoist dumps 2.9 ton with no problem. We needed the dump angle so got the best of both worlds. The amount of bed we would loose with a telescoping cylinder would have caused us greif. Same exact hoist with 6 " overhand gives us another 500 lbs capacity. But who hauls over 5800 lbs on a 1 ton ? Our scissor hoist pushes it up (just under 6000lbs) without hesitation and is an industrial grade unit for the same cost as a Northern Tool package . The hardware and entire unit was only 1300 dollars. Plus its a 50 ` angle.
  10. Gravel Rat

Like I meantioned earlier hauling 6000lbs plus isn't uncommon for me when I'am hauling sand and gravel. My truck is a 1.5 ton with a 12' deck I can't run a shorter deck 11' would be the shortest I could go. I haul lumber aswell upto 24' feet long I have been hauling some loads of logs 14' long loads around 3.5-4 ton.

I have been looking at Mailhot telescoping cylinders I think they will be my best bet for my application. I don't want something that is going to power out :rolleyes: time is money if I have to spend time shoveling material I'am loosing money.

I also haul demolition debris from renovation jobs or new construction the less you have to handle the nail infested wood the better.

I was hauling 1 to 3 yards of sand gravel and topsoil some of those loads were pushing 8500lbs a bit heavy but the truck did it.