1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for enclosed trailer owners?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lasher66, Sep 12, 2012.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at buying an enclosed trailer. The one thing I was wondering is what you guys do to gas up your equipment. I know some trailers have fuel access doors, but what do you do if you dont have them. I imagine that you have to back all the mowers off trailer to fill them at pump, or fill a crapload of gas cans for the trailer. Just seems like a pain to fill up equipment every day versus an open trailer.
  2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have fuel doors on ours but sometimes we just back the mowers out and fill them.
  3. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

We use our 48" side door to fuel up and fill our gas caddy. I now wish there was a fuel door on the other side - this would be convenient.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

I just back them off. Sometimes I can use the side door to fill one.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Ah, the down side to using a enclosed trailer. When you move up to a enclosed trailer, it's wise to get a fuel caddy. You'll waste a LOT of time at the pump everyday pulling the mowers in and out.
  6. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

But It's a lot less time than coming on here all the time and complaining about handhelds not working properly from being exposed to the weather all day long on and open trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

we put a couple aftermarket fuel doors on our enclosed. Simple installation and with the trim kit it looks original.
  8. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

I do the multiple gas can deal. Not a big deal. Fill up everything and make mix for 2 strokes in the AM. Refill the cans on Saturday or Sunday. In case I consumed more gas than my fleet of gas cans would hold, I had saved a couple VP fuel drums and was planning to just fill them up and fuel everything from drums.
  9. 01thump

01thump LawnSite Member
    from orlando

You must be in a big hurry or just lazy if you think a few minutes at the pump is a pain ....
  10. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

its the scarifies you make when you get an enclosed... Bet you dont complain when its raining out and all of your equipment is dry because its inside of your enclosed trailer...

This winter i Plan to build a Setup where the front left side of the trailer has a generator door on it. With a slide out where i can mount a big low pro gas tank like 40 gallons so i can just refuel from there.
    like this instead of a generator.
    Not because i get tired of pulling the mowers out but because i HATEEEEEE the new gas cans and all of that. Rather have 2 tanks with 2 hoses. Oe for straight gas one for 2 cycle.

This is how it looks when its all closed up: