Question for ETWMAN (sorry don't know where to post this)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdoss123, Apr 5, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

ETWMAN - I'm new to the site and was given your SName to contact about the quality of the Hustler 2500's since you have used them. For some reason I can't PM yet, and I tried finding your email address, to no avail.

If you would drop me a PM or message here regarding your experiences with the Hustler 2500s.

2. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

bdoss123 -

Okay let me start with the good. They are built like tanks, there's hardly a piece of plastic on them. The hydraulic deck lift is great and they do really stick on hills. Blade tip speed is fine, and that edger attachement you have works slick. Unlike the newer Z's the "one stick" versus the "two stick" leaves one hand to talk on the cell, etc. which is pretty nice. These machines with a catcher, edger, etc sold for $12-13 new and they were built to last.

The down sides. There were head gasket issues, coil packs, idler wheels, mufflers, and brake assemblies that went bad. I have around 1000 hours on each of mine and all this has been done, unfortunately more than once. The real irritating thing is that Hustler won't come up with decent replacement parts for the machine. I'm not looking for warranty items, the machines are 8 years old, but when I drop $200-$500 on a replacement part at least get me a couple years out of it. Their excuse is that's Kohler....or it's the muffler supplier company. If that part is on your machine you had better stand behind it. If we did a patio job and those pavers cracked I'm the one that's going to bat for the customer. If I replace that paver and it cracks again I'm the one going to the supplier, there's no way I'm sending the customer to the supplier. They just spent a ton of money with me, the very least I can do is go to bat for them. I just spend $5000 on major overhaul repairs on these three 2500's this past winter and I'd say 60-70% of that has previously been done. We don't mow alot, the mowers have 1000 hours on them, so I was at a fork in the road as to whether to but new or overhaul.

Are the super Z's better? From what I hear they've made improvements, but what's to say 5 years down the road your in the same situation I'm in now. I understand that the perfect mower isn't out there but if your going to sell a replacement part at least make sure it works, that's all I'm asking. I thought I'd never say this, and sorry if I offend some, but I will be very hard pressed to buy another Hustler in the future based on their response to faulty parts. A machine is only as good as the company who backs it.

Hope this answers some of your questions. I don't think the 2500 that you're looking at is a bad machine, though not knowing the true hours is a concern. Just be advised of the goods and bads.
  3. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, and I think I'm going to pass on the 2500 based on your experience with replacement parts. I don't mind sinking a grand into the machine off the bat if I know that will keep me above water for another 2000 hours, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I'm going to try and spend a little more and find a used Exmark or Scag ZTR.