Question for Exmark owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ducky1, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if the ultra vac had a blower that would clog and burn the belt? Also how does it do in wet grass? May get one and was just wondering.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    ducky

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I don't OWN one, but I did demo one a couple years back. What I found is that even if you plug it up, it pluged at the boot between the deck and the blower fan and didnt' actually impair the fan from spinning.

I'm hoping to be able to demo another, with the Triton deck, sometime this spring. (the one before had the older trivantage deck)

3. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ultra-vac and it does not clog at all.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

not too good in wet grass.... Got mine stuck today

5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Yes you can smoke the belt.
    I've never done it while mowing but when turning on the blades and vac. That nasty green mush can build up behind the fan and once it dries up (say over night) it turns to concrete. I scrape behind the fan as best I can every other oil change or when I notice it building up.

I wouldn't make your decision based upon this rare occurrence

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 ultra vac's. One is a two bag on a trivantage deck and the other is the 3 bag on the ultracut deck. The statement above is correct. If they do clog most of the time it is right where the deck meets the boot of the vac. Impeller will just keep spinning not hurting the belt at all. Ultra vac's are very nice. But I have clogged the units especially the 2 bag many times. Usually in wet conditons. They are very easy to take on and off when you get it down. Around 30 to 45 sec.

7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I may just get along with a untra vac, I just didnt want to have to be changing the belt all the time. That it the past expierence I have had with a blower on the deck like that. Maybe exmark has that kinda figured out. thanks again

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

saying a bag system doesn't clog is like saying there's a snowblower that doesn't clog.....it's bs.

However, I do belive that the ultra is the best bag system on there for a z, powered or non powered.

Cleaning the built up grass out of the housing is part of maintanence, just like cleaning under the deck. The problem is it's not done as much as it should be.

The only time I have seen a belt burn up on an ultra vac is when the idler arm freezes or something solid gets jammed. The belt is spring loaded. If there is grass build it, it just clogs the opening of the bag. You flip the tab, pop the tube off and swing the vac open and clean it out. Less than a minute.