Question for exmark owners?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Season's, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I am looking into getting an Exmark - 20 HP 48" deck with the bagging system. Can any of you guys tell me how the exmark will handle on slopes, how it bags, quality of cut, speed, pros/cons any other info. on these machines? I'd appreciate your input.

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I got that mower in a 44 with the 20hp motor all I can say is love the cut but watch it on hills it does not hold them well for a ztr. But if you can go up and back down then you should have little trouble but side to side on a hill ehehehe you going to crash been there done that.

3. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

Greetings- Buy the mower with the 23 hp Kohler engine if you are going to bag or mulch. I have bought and sold 100s of used mowers and that 48" machine needs more than 20 hp to bag or mulch tall or wet grass. You will be able to maintain engine rpms better with the higher hp engine.Also get the add on weights to maintain traction on slopes.
    Good Luck
    Nick

4. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

i have a 60" ztr 27 hp and i think it handles great on slopes. i will try to post a pic of one 2 acre property i do that is very hilly. keep the blades sharp cut i s awesome. getting my bagger today for it.would i buy again.. definately!!!! also own exmark tt 48" wb

5. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Great machine,I own a 48" ExMark with the Ultra Vac,It works great,As far as Hrse power I got it with the 21HP Kawasaki,Quieter motor and more low end torque,The only thing is you have to lower the front of the deck 1/4" when bagging leaves to help with blow-out in the front end of the deck,and just remember the wider the wheel base the better they stick to slopes.Hope this helps you,If I was to get another machine it would be a 52".If you go bigger thay the 48" you can purchase a baffle kit to help with blow-out.

6. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" LZHP with the 23 Kawi and it is good on hills! It cuts better than the other three outfits ZTR's around here! (Toro,JD, and Dixie Chopper) With the ultravac it is a bagging machine from hell! The thing is a beast! I have only plugged it up once and I was trying to see what it would take to plug it up! I was cutting a Bluegrass/Rye blend that was a very lush and a little on the wet side about 7 to 8" tall! When you go fast trying to bag like that you will plug it up if you try hard enough! Most of the time the Ultravac will outperform the capabilities of the deck ! As far as slopes go I would say that you have to watch it with some steep slopes with the bagger weight after it is about hald full in the heavy grass! I cut one place where the last outfit that had it used a trimmer to do an area that is about 2900 sq ft because they said their Dixie Chopper would not do it safely! It is steep ! Before I added the weight kit to the front end it would tilt backwards without the bagger attached! Now with the weight kit and the bagger with a little extra leaning on my part I can do that area. I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed one! My next machine will be larger !!! 60"

7. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Turf Dancer (or anyone else who knows), I have a question about the ultravac. How easy is it to take off to go from bagging to side dishcharging? I have a Walker and alot of my properties are bagged, but I have a few commercial accounts that can be discharged. I am looking for a good mower to compliment my Walker and was considering the Exmark 60" with Ultravac.

Thanks for your time.

8. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

It is real easy! My trailer is only 5' wide so to load it I have to take the tube and blower off and then load the mower

Remove tube 15 seconds

Remove belt and guard 25 seconds

Remove blower 15 seconds

To side discharge just put the chute in place and pur the rod through the holes and place the pin in the hole in the rod that holds the chute on!

Actually I have it down to about 40 seconds to remove the blower and tube

If you want to take the catcher off the back of the mower it will take another minute or so.

It is the best bagger I have ever seen first hand. Like I said I have never plugged it up except for when I tried to in the thick high grass! The Ultravac will bag everything that the TriVantage deck can handle and still produce a beautiful cut!

9. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Thanks Turf Dancer, that's what I needed to know.

10. When i was still in the partnership with my brothers we had a 48 hp 19 horse kawi with the ultra vac.

Bagged beautifully and held hills like stuck to glue.Blower houseing like said above is very easy to take off and put back on.And like also mentioned its hard as hell to plug it ..It will handle wet leaves excellently...About the the only time i get plugs is when the leaves are drinched and even then it rare that it plugs .

Id seriously recommend going with the 52 hp ..the trim side on the 48 hp is little to none.And the ground speed on the 52 is 9.5 compaired to the 48's 8.1.

Either machine gives a excellent cut .