question for Exmark tthp 36" owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yard sloth, May 30, 2005.

1. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

I was quoted a price of $4516 before tax for an new 05 turf tracer hp 36". So are they worth the money? what are some pro's and con's on this model. do they give a nice clean cut, any scalping issues? anybody regret purchasing this mower or is it the best 36" ever? I'd probably use it with a mulching kit. thanks for any insights.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I love my TTHP, couldn't stay in business without it. Competition out here is fierce and it's nice to be able to cut a lawn faster with my TTHP working solo than it takes 2 guys with 21's the same amount of time. Scalping is an issue no matter what the mower if you're putting the machine where it really looks it'll scalp, floating deck or not. I strictly mulch and I couldn't ask for a better mulching mower. The ECS system is the best out there, period. Kawasaki 15 HP powers the machine very well and I can't complain there either. Your price of $4500 doesn't sound too bad, but out here in the PNW prices are so much higher than they are back east.

3. kintaro

kintaro LawnSite Member

hey i got 2 turf tracers with mulching blades there the best i have tried all the others bye far exmark takes the cake :)oh i got mine for 3700 but i purchaced 80,000 worth of stuff so i got a deal on everything i bought.

4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I have a 03 I bought spring of 04. Mower cuts great and mulching ability is great.

I have two mechanical problems with this mower. The first one was blade idler pulley bouncing and blade belt riding to top of pulley instead of centering itself on pulley causing excessive belt wear at lower cutting heights. I put a narrow idler pulley on to resolve this. My second problem showed up this spring with the Hydro pump spring breaking and excessive wear in the pump idler arm at the spring attachment point, along with excessive bouncing or harmonics on the idler arm while running. They changed the spring and arm out but after two months I noticed that the new idler arm contact point is wearing excessively again. If you buy a new machine I would check idler pulleys on pump and blades for bounce at all heights and all engine speeds before buying. My dealer has had several pump spring failures, not just mine.

5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't have 36" but I have '01 52" TTHP which I got it used for $2500, so far it is the best WB for me, the cut is excellent. As above said, ECS is the best out there.

6. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

I have this mower, 03 model, with flex deck attached. Making it 54" cut, going through 36" gates :)

I keep my blades sharp and ballanced, and never really feel undpowered for 15hp.

I really like the mower.