question for eXmark

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

How does a person figure out which unit has the best hilling ability without a demo??? I'm thinking the HP would be best because of it's smaller size. The lazer Z is about 4" taller and longer.

2. jalawn

jalawn LawnSite Member

We have both the HP and the regular Z. I honestly think that they hill close to the same. The HP does feel better doing hills, but the Z will do them. It boils down to your confidence;)

Jamie

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Envy,

To put it simple you don't. We can give guidelines, recommendations, restrictions etc. but the truth is you'll need to demo the machine.

Hills are one of those necessary evils of our business and you must prepare yourself to understand the limitations of each machine. Keep in mind these limitations are not constant. The terrain changes, the conditions change etc. A hill that was manageable on Monday may not be on Tuesday or it may change during the same day. Too much moisture, not enough, debris, holes obstacles all of these things and more can change the handling characteristics of any more at any time. It's been our experience that bigger is often better on hills. The wider, longer and lower the machine the better. Don't place too much emphasis on lower because they are all important.

We recommend that you not exceed 15 degrees of slope. Even at 15 degrees you will still got to avoid loose soil, mud, debris etc. or anything that could potentially upset the balance of the machine or cause it to loose traction.

Also remember just because you feel safe doesn't mean that you are when operation on hills. If however you feel unsafe chances are that you probably shouldn't be doing what you’re doing.

Thanks

Terry

4. Envy Lawn Service

15 degrees is the maximum slope listed in the owners manual for the lawn tractor I currently use. 15 degrees is just a hair past flat for us around here. :D My rider is safe on much steeper slopes than listed and I put it on them daily. It will slip downhill before turning over side ways and I've had it happen to me a couple of times. As far as up and down, if it will go up it without spinning, I'm fine.

These Zero turns look much more stable to me than my lawn tractor. I just think I might not be able to use the same rule of thumb for up and down slopes. With both tires getting traction, you may be able to go up hills you can't safely come down.

The front castors are what worry me most truthfully. I'm afraid they may play nasty tricks on a man while sidehilling or turning on slopes.

I now have the feeling that 15 degrees is more of an "industry standard" than anything. You may be the 1st to correct me if this is not the case! :confused:

5. eXmark

Envy,

The point I was trying to make, but all of the legal/technical stuff got in the way is this.

You NEED to demo if you’re concerned about hills. Our standard, the industry standard, whoever’s standard this is was put in place and truthfully I think it's a good idea. At 15 degrees on most lawns you will feel reasonably comfortable (trust me 15 degrees is a really small number on paper but is much bigger when your in the seat bouncing across a lawn) operating the mower. Even at 15 degrees you’re not always going to be in a safe condition. Just as an extreme example would you feel safe on a 15 degree sheet of ice overlooking a pit of hungry crocodiles (in our case hungry engineers, they can consume their body weight in doughnuts and pizza). Demo the machine and understand that all of the control, steering, drive and stopping power is limited to the traction of the rear tires. Most of the commercial guys will tell you the Lazer is a good machine and it has different operating characteristics than a lawn tractor when on hills.

Demo the machine and decide for yourself. Download the last couple of pages from one of our Lazer operator’s manuals from our website. There's a diagram that will help you determine what a 15-degree slope really is.

Thanks

Terry

6. Envy Lawn Service

I agree 15 degrees is a decient slope. But in ourr region it's not at all uncommon to mow slopes steeper than this on a daily basis even when trying to avoid taking on steep lawns.

You have a good dealer in Boone North Carolina that has invited me for a test drive. This dealer is in the next county north of me and generally has steeper terrain for the most part. I'm looking forward to some dry weather for the on site demo.

By the way, just to refresh my memory, when will the striping kits be available for decks smaller than 52"?

Thanks for all your help!

7. eXmark

Envy,

You should be able to order the rollers right now. It may take a little time for it to come into your dealer but we have now started shipping them to our distributors.

STRLHP44 $319, for the 44"
    STRLHP48 $319, for the 48"

Thanks

Terry