Question For Florida LCOs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rlc321, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rlc321

rlc321 LawnSite Member

What time of year do you guys start mowing every other week
    in November? How much more do you charge for mowing every other week verses weekly? Thanks

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

rewind and start the tape over again.

If you would change your accounts over to a monthly pay system with equal payments each month you wouldn't have this problem. Also you wouldn't have the problem of people canceling cause it doesn't need mowed in the winter. Then getting pissy when you charge them for a clean up when they restart in April.

I mow weekly until it doesn't need it. Looks like 01 Nov this year. I start mowing weekly again in Late march. 42 cut season. All paid equally. Winter is gravy and summer is difficult. But not as bad as being broke in the winter.

You can't charge more now for EOW. There is no extra cutting, no extra height. Your income just dropped in half. Sorry but try and raise rates now for EOW and you will have no income.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

it all depends on the weather in florida,,,,,typicly contracts are open ended to read "as needed to maintain a neat and attractive appearance" If it is a very large account then it would probably have set mow schedules.

as far as contract writing goes your contract will have to reflect the competitions standards if they are the acceptable standards for your area.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow aproximately 70 accts per week. I mow weekly from Apr thru Oct, then bi-weekly Nov thru Mar. I mow on a set schedule and will mow whether the lawn needs it or not. I charge in advance and expect payment by the 10th of each month. All customers are under contract. I do a good job and except for a few straglers, receive all my receivables by the 7th or 8th of every month. Stragleers by the 20th. Been doing it this way for 15 years. It works for me. And for the doubters, no, I don't have people cancel in the winter. If I thought they would, I wouldn't start mowing for them in the first place. My contract does, however, have a cancellation clause in it.

5. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Mow as needed during slow growth months but ALL accounts or monthly year around rates except for 1. I don't do written contracts but verbal agreement is made when new acounts start, three years I haven't got screwed yet. I do a little leaf clean up for customers if growth totally slows, can usually get extra work that way. Generally make rounds about every 10-12 days.