1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for guys useing Exmark Micro mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EJK2352, Sep 14, 2001.

1. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few customers that don't want to spend alot of money on
    fall leaf clean-up. I told them that if they would let me mulch them
    I could save them some money. They want me to go ahead and mulch them instead of picking them up. My question is how well does the Micro mulch kit work when mulching leaves?? Do you get
    alot of front blow out?? How many times will I have to go over the lawn to grind them up?? Do you use the Exmark mulching blades or Gators or some other blades?? Any help would be great.
    :) ;) :) ED
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the micro mulch kit on a turf tracer, and getting one for the lazer, it mulches really well, and I do not notice much blowout. I tried the gator blades, and didn`t like them, they didn`t mulch as good as the mulching blades with the kit. When the leaves get real thick I still prefer to bag them though. I use the mulch kit until they the last cleanup, then bag em.I do weekly cuts, and the customers like the fact that the leaves are not laying there, blowing everywhere, and looking messy. When they are thick I go over the lawn a second time and it looks pretty good. I also have the ultra vac on lazer and this really makes short work on cleanups.:cool:
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The mulch kit is great on leaves. I usually only need 1 time over if they are not to heavy. If they are real heavy you will need to run over a couple of times. I also use the mulching blades. Part of the reason the eXmarks mulch so awesome is in airflow design. The blades are made for the correct airflow. Changing to the gators with the mulch kit doesn't work very well.

For leaf season I will take the mulch kit off my Lazer HP and put the ultra vac back on. The metro will remain mulching. This way I have the best of both depending on the job.

Oh, to let you know how well these mowers mulch. I have not had to deal with one shrub cleanup all year. I just blow the trimming in the lawn and run one of the exmarks over them about 2 times and they are completely gone.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I used the MicroMulch kit on my Exmark 36" Metro last year. I found that although the mulching blades that came with the kit were great in grass they didn't work nearly as well as Gators in leaves. Also the blowout was very irritating. I had to fashion a anti-blowout baffle for the front of the mower deck.
  5. Hows it do on real wet grass?Id like to quite bagging,im getting
    3 to 4 cubic yards a day,with ultra vac and turf tiger baggers
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey Richard, is that Gators WITH the mulch kit still on, or just Gators?
    I have a 36" metro also and I use Gators for cutting grass, but was thinking about Exmarks mulch kit for the upcoming fall leaves. Thanks.
  7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had good results from the mulch kit and gator blades, I didnt use the eXmark blades until this season. Not enough leaves yet to tell which blade is better. But it is good to hear the factory mulchers are productive.

Two passes with an occasional third needed when leaves are knee high.

I think if you didnt tell the customers that the leaves were mulched, they wouldnt know the difference. My customers are my livelyhood so no deceptive practices are practiced here.
  8. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I have my micro-mulch unit installed on my 60" Lazer right now as the dry spell we've had is bringing the leaves down a tad early.

Using the Exmark mulching blades...no doubles... as that causes TOO much blowout (especially to the front-discharge side) and then you spend more time chasing DRY leaves aroung the lawn instead of shredding them. I tried the Gators with the kit on but the Exmark blades did a better job IMHO.

Usually one pass gets it done...two passes and it looks vacuumed and bagged. :)

I am EXTREMELY IMPERSSED with the Exmark micro-mulch system!

I would like to try the Ultra-Vac system too...but have not seen the need for it...yet.

Do you think the Ultra-Vac saves time or does a nicer job than the micro-mulching kit? What are the benifits of using the Ultra-Vac as opposed to straight mulching of leaves? So far after a 2nd pass I don't see any leaf pieces on the top of the grass...but I don't let the leaves build up much before whacking them. Just wondering if I should get the Ultra-Vac. :)
  9. casey

casey Guest

Have found micro mulch with gators to be much better on leaves than micro mulch with Exmark mulching blades.
  10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Under the current conditions it wouldn't save you any time. As long as its the small amount of leaves then no big deal, just mulch them. Slow the blade speed down just a bit and it will keep the blow out to a very minimum. Where the ultra vac comes into play is those big leaf removals. When you show up and all the trees in the neighborhood dropped everything over night and now you have a lot of leaves. When you mulch piles that started 4 ft high after you blow the beds and fence lines out. You can end up with a 6 to 8 inch pile of shredded leaves that are a mat on top of the grass. No matter how many times you go over them at that point it doesn't matter. You can't leave that because it looks bad. This is the point that the ultra vac is really needed. The light dusting of leaves isn't a problem. The lawns that have large trees in them are the ones that you would really need the vac for.

I will keep my mulcher on for about another 2-3 weeks and then the vac will go back on. It will stay on for the remainder of the year and thru spring cleanups next year. I will let you in on how it paid off for me. During leaf season last year, I almost paid for the machine and the ultravac. It did a great job, customers loved the look, and it was much faster. My customers neighbors were asking me to do theirs also. I never advertised, but had all I wanted to do.

To answer the question of is it worth it. I think so. My customers think so. My attitude toward leaves changed. I always hated leaf season. Not anymore, I actually look forward to it. My only problem now is how to keep the leaf dust out of my contacts.