Question for Indiana LCO's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RickR1818, Oct 14, 2007.

1. RickR1818

RickR1818 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some answers from others here in the area. Please be honest in your responses as I am wanting to do this right and not be a low baller or way too expensive. When bidding on commercial properties, do you figure how long it will take and charge by man hour? For example, if I think a job will take me and 1 helper 6 hours to mow, trim, edge, maintain beds, and pick trash would you figure your bid by actual 12 man hours? Say 12 man hours and hourly rate of $60 = $720? I am looking to put a lot of bids in over the next few months and want to be competitive but not under cut or be grossly over priced.

Thanks For Any Help,

2. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

What you just described is how I bid. The only difference is if it is the same job I drop the price every hour I am there. For example first hour I get $60.00, next hour I get $55.00, next $50.00. I keep going until I get to $40.00 per hour. Personal I do not drop below $40.00 per man hour. The second person I have with me I do not get the full amount for. Just little over half of full price. Two men for one hour would then be $95.00

I am not but about 2 hours away from you but I would think you have even more competitors then me since you are in a larger city. Your hourly rates my be different then here. Hope this helps.