Question for Irritrol valve users

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Dec 4, 2007.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Fimco-Meister, et al:

What's the difference between a 205 and a 2500?

The 1" flow control models are less than $1 apart in price. One has structural ribs, the other has stainless plates on top (older style as I recall.)

Any other differences in design or performance I should know about?
  2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Because I install mostly 2400t valves on residential yards, I do get the catalog for irritrol's other valves. It appears they are mostly identical valves with identical performance. The only difference I can see aside from one having the structured ribs and the other having the steel plate ring under the screws are the difference in diaphram materials. I have run into 205 series valves that have hardly need any work done to them other than the occassional sticking.
  3. Desertdweller

Desertdweller LawnSite Member

Irritrol told us the 2500 is rated for lower flows. It works better for our drip systems but can be used with grass zones also.
  4. Have never used the 2500. Took one apart and it looked more like the 2400 inside as I recall but we use the DVF as our replacement valve and stock the 205s and 2400s for service parts. Have not had to service a 2500 but I don't think many have sold in this area either. My understanding is it was going to phase out the 205 (heard that at a seminar several years ago) but too many irrigators threw a fit is my guess because the 205 looks more entrenched than ever.
  5. Ditto...
    The 2500 also had a problem with the diaphragm guide on the bonnet...allowing the valve to weep..
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

As noted, the 2500 is based on the jar-top diaphragm, instead of the old R204 diaphragm - But note that the 2500, along with their 2700A anti-syphon valves, uses a different diaphragm assembly than the 2400, since it moves on a thinner guide pin, as opposed to the thicker tube used in the 2400.

Toro did have the idea of discontinuing the original Richdel design, but gave that up. After all, if they will be making parts forever, why not manufacture the entire valve?
  7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

The 205 old style, and 2500 new style are virtually the same.

The only difference besides the no leak bleeder function with the solenoid is a notch on one end of the valve top so it is easier to line up the bonnet with the base when dong a repair. Now it is virtually idiot proof, only one way it can go together.

About 8-10 years ago they did discontinue carrying the 205 at least here locally. There was an uproar because there where problems with the 2500. Also people like myself prefer to change out the whole bonnet when there is a problem rather than replace a diaphragm or solenoid. Not having the 205 available became a problem. So it was ugly for a while, kinda like the "New Coke" debacle of the early 80's. People where buying cases of the 205s. to have for the future.

The 205 used to be the only valve you ever saw around here until the new 2500's came out then with the problems people began trying other brands. It is still the predominant valve here locally.