Question for ItsGotToBeGreen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LightningLawns, Jul 11, 2005.

1. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 23/52 stander, it has about 20 hours on it and ever since I got it, it doesn't seem to cut well, I have a 17/36 that cuts great. I noticed you have a 23/52 stander I was wondering if you have any similar problems. Also what type of grass are you cutting? Thanks

2. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Check the deck pitch. :)

3. LightningLawns

I have checked the deck pitch and it is lower in the front than it is in the rear.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We run ours at approx. 1/8" pitch, full baffles, single Raptor blades, and cut at 3.5". Maybe check the blades if they aren't new. Being in Florida, in sandy conditions, it could have blades with little to no sail. I really couldn't see that for 20 hours of use, but it could be possible, I guess. We cut mainly TF and PF/BG mix lawns. It may just not like the St. Augustine and Bermuda grasses...lol. Seriously, explain a little more in deatil exactly what the cut looks like, how the mower reacts when mowing, deck height...etc..Then we can maybe get somewhere. Once this bumps, Wil should be along soon :D

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have a similar problem with a wb, I think the deck is bent it leaves some tall strands. I think that depending on how strong the grass is depends on cut quality. In the shade the grass is weaker and is flattened by the front of the deck and the blades won't cut all of it this is similar to a lawn that is starting to wither in the droughts, my mower lays the blades down but doesn't cut it evenly. Thats just my theory. My bigger mower with more hp and high lift blades seem to take care of this for the most part.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a few people ask me the same question. Seems like most people are having problems with cut down in southern states. What blades are you running. And what ground speed. Try some low lift blades or regular gators. To cut down on the air turbulence.

7. LightningLawns

I cut bahia and st. augustine I think about 50/50 st. augustine cuts fine but the bahia doesn't.....it might just be this time of year since the bahia has been growing faster than normal. It seems a lot of people on here are complaining on the cut of bahia. I am going to adjust the pitch a little more and see how that works. I have a 36 that seems to cut better than the 52 so it also could be the deck design since they seem to be different. I am using the oem blades. It seems when I cut shorter it cuts better but when i cut bahia at 3.5 it leaves a lot of stick ups not just seed pods either. Its almost like the mower seems to be underpowered. We'll see what happens tomorrow.