Question for "Joe Homeowner"

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dfor, May 30, 2004.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

1. Why is it that you think that more fertilizer is better?

2. Why do you cut, or want your lawn cut, at ridiculously low heights when it could look great at 3-3.5 inches?

3. And why do you continue to water a lawn that is perfectly green, wheather it be in May or July?

Please don't answer if you are in the lawn business. Lets hear from the homeowners.

2. csj1

csj1 LawnSite Member
    from ID

I don’t. The last thing I need is my lawn growing 3 inches in a week.

2. Why do you cut, or want your lawn cut, at ridiculously low heights when it could look great at 3-3.5 inches?
    I don’t. My lawn is cut at 3 1/2 inches

3. And why do you continue to water a lawn that is perfectly green, whether it be in May or July?
    This could be do to having the sprinklers on a auto timer that goes off in the middle of the night so you do not think about it every day.

On another note I doubt you will find too many homeowners that do these things on this site. Most of us that read this site are looking for advice on the right way to maintain our lawns.

3. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

I don't over fertilize, I have some knowledge of fertilizer as it pertains to hay, and I never water - when it gets dry I worry about the well.

But I've been wondering about cutting height. My last mower (a garden tractor) came with the deck already set, and I never changed it. Earlier this year I bought a Deere 777, you HAVE to pick a height and you see what it is.

I discovered that I had been mowing at 2.25 inches. I've read here that it should be 3.25 or higher (thanks everyone for the information, by the way). I raised it to 3.25 and it didn't look good. I had clover flowers and other things show up that I hadn't noticed before. Now I need to figure out how to clear these undesirables out of the grass. My farm is organic, so I'm not sure how to do that without herbicides.

But anyway, to answer your question about why I was cutting so low, I thought it looked better and didn't realize it made any difference. Live and learn ...

4. DylanG

DylanG LawnSite Member

The answer is that we just don't know any better. When you buy a house it doesn't come with a manual on how to take care of the lawn. I'm sure there are things you simply don't care to know much about because they don't interest you.

5. Thunderdogg

Thunderdogg LawnSite Member

1. I do it just to upset folks like you. It brings a smile to my face when I see you drive by my freshly over-fertilized yard with a look of disgust upon your face.

2. If I cut it low enough the grass turns yellow and my yard really stands out from the rest of the neighborhood!

3. I miss the humidity of the South so I keep the water going as much as possible to remind me of home.

:p

Actually I do none of those things. I may put some fertilizer on my lawn once a year, but usually I won't spend the money on it. The grass clippings seem to keep it nice and green for me.

I cut at 3" and I never water my lawn...but I'm still cutting once a week.

6. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I don't! I fert. around the major holidays (Easter, MD, 4th, LD & Thanksgiving) using lesco products. More fert. means more growth means more chances of thatch which means better chances of getting disease.

I cut mine @ 3.5 but I just started using doubles (gator on top stock flat on bottom) so I am only getting 3.25 I will be raising the deck to 4.0 (3.75) thats as high as I can go in the middle of June. I think most people like it cut shorter because it looks neater, not realizing the benefits of keeping it longer.

3. And why do you continue to water a lawn that is perfectly green, weather it be in May or July?
    I don't! I will only turn on the irrigation when we do not get 1" of rainfall. My controller has a rain sensor so it does not go on and over water the lawn. During the hot months I water every 3 days for 25 Min's. a zone which will give me approx. 1" of water. I am on a well so running it 1 day a week for 75 Min's. would put too much strain on the well.

I have learned soo much from this site. I thank you guys for your input and responses to my questions in the past. I think the average homeowner just goes by the commercials on TV and do not follow the directions. I knew some things about lawn care and was doing some of the things you mentioned. I now know better and try to help my family and friends about correct lawn care. As csj1 said we are on this site to learn how to do it right.

Norm

7. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Are you doing some sort of research? Why are a lot of you Pros so condescending to homeowners? You shouldn't just lump all homeowners under a blanket assumption of having no idea how the hell to take care of a lawn. Some of us don't just randomly throw down chemicals and ferts without reading labels and following the recommended appl rates.

I have to hand it to some of the knowledgable guys on this site for actually taking the time to share their expertise with "joe homeowner". Something that(judging from a search of your posts) you don't seem to waste your time with. :rolleyes:

I fert 4 times a year, cut at 3.5" as often as needed and water deeply as needed over the summer.

8. spigeez

spigeez LawnSite Member
    from NY

What happened dfor, did you get bounced out of the commercial forum? Did someone hurt your feelings up there and you figured you would come belittle the very people that provide you with a living. Why not ask your customers these questions in that tone, and sit back and watch your accounts disappear. Have fun biting the hands that feed you, I hope it makes you feel better.

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I believe the fertilization question to be a good question.
    We get blamed all the time for a lawn that looks like crap after cutting because of extreme growth.
    When you tell a homeowner who has a "service" doing the fertilization that there is TOO much nitrogen on the lawn they just look at you like you are stupid.

I'm not trying to provoke any one here,it's just an observation.

10. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

I don't doubt that. I'm sure most homeowners that you guys work for really have no clue and don't care to take the time to understand some of the science involved in it. They want a lush, green lawn with no compromises. I, however, don't have the $260 that I've been quoted to have a service do the lawn and I would rather do it myself anyways. Hence, my eagerness to learn the right way to do things.