1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Question for large compact tractor owners

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Husker1982, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I know that this is a plowsite question but this site has the action right now. I am going to use my JD 4710 this year for pushing snow and wondered if anyone has purchased or made a snow pusher for something like this. I am having a guy that does welding/fabricating build me a snow pusher that is 10ft wide for this tractor. It will be used in a relatively large lot but I just wanted to get feedback from all of you who have done this. Thanks.

2. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

Curtiss mfg co, Worcester, MA makes several type/size plows and a pusher for that model tractor

3. Husker1982

Curtis makes no pushers for it just plows. I have already checked out plows for the unit. I want to get a pusher (i.e. Protech, Avalanche, Blazer). Damn sounds like I am naming models of trucks.

4. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

5. Husker1982

lamabur and morturf I apprieciate the help. Although I am looking for users to give feed back on how well the tractor handled certain sizes and how big they think I should go.

6. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

I have a 41 HP Mahindra w/72" front bucket. It also hangs a 11 ft Bradco backhoe. My driveway is 1600 ft long, with a good slope to it, bringing us up to the main road. I push about a third at a time, backup, annd make three more pushes which opens that area, then go on again.Going up hill on a winding 1600 ftdrive and the Mahindra does real good. Probably would do much better if I can get on it during and just after the storm. Not an option for me as I run a JD 710 TLB doing local banks and schools, so when I get home for my own driveway, it is considerably later. I see no reason you can't push a 10 ft pusher. It all depends on where and the physical circumstances of the area.

7. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

whats difference in a pusher and a plow.....not being sarcastic but they both work same dont they? other than being front or back of tractor

8. lamarbur

lamarbur LawnSite Member

a usher is considerably wider than a plow and a pusher has side plates to hold as much snow as possible. Plows, usually can be angled one way or another. Pushers a re like a giant dozer blade stuck in one postion

9. dylan

dylan Member
    from Ontario

I got a NH TC33D. 33 hp 4x4 etc. It has a 6' bucket on the front with 2' wings to make a pusher box. When it is full of snow it is almost all I can push. It might take a 7-8' box but would probably be pretty hard on the machine. I've seen guys with 8' plows having no problem.