Question for Lazer- City driveways

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by PINEISLAND1, Nov 22, 2000.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 LawnSite Member
    from WEST MI

I live in a setting where almost all my residentials are country or at least 1 acre parcels off county roads. Not many developments or city situations like I assume you do. However, this week I started doing my Sister's Home, who lives close to a new commercial account. They live on 50 ft. frontage city lots, with only about 30 ft. between houses. When I pulled her drive out, I really didn't know what to do with the snow. Do you push it up their driveway apron onto their terrace, or do you go across the street and onto someone elses? Do you lift it up over the curb onto the terrace? Since the ground isn't frozen, it is really tough! I can find a way to do it, but it sure isn't as quick as you say you are getting them done.

You don't just pull it out into the street and leave it for the city plows, do you?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I know you didnt ask me, but in my work area pushing snow into the street, or across the roadway will earn you a $100 fine. And they are not shy about handing them out as I learned early on :(

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The snow gets pushed back on the terrace next to the driveway entrance like you said.

If the road is NOT plowed, we get maybe 80%+ back up there but if the road IS plowed, we clean it up completely.

4. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

If you back drag with your rear blade from the garage out, do you then turn the truck around and push up the entrance with your front blade?

I had my Big truck, (3/4 with 8' box, v-plow and rear blade), so it isn't easy getting around.

5. Lazer

That's exactly right.

Most of our driveway trucks are 115" WB and all have 13" steering wheels with steering nobs which makes that task easier.

Because of the intense amount of steering, we replace front axle joints in every truck every year.

Also many are equipped with rubber scraper edges on the back blades which allow the back of the truck to slide with downpressure. (and a little experience)

I haven't plowed with my new 350 (142"WB) on driveways yet, but I know it's going to be more difficult.

6. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

So the sliding aspect allows you to spin the truck around in the street without waiting to raise the back blade?

7. Lazer

Yeah, kinda makes your truck into a "Zero-turning radius" machine. (With the right driver)

Our trucks have central hydraulic systems that will raise the plows in a 1.25 seconds or so.

8. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

You're telling me that just pushing the snow ACROSS the road, say into someone elses lawn, will get you fined??? I'm glad I learned this now, but I don't know where I'm gonna put the snow on half of my accounts...

9. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

In most cities, there is an ordinance that makes it illegal to plow snow from a driveway or lot into the city streets and just leave it there.

The will however in some towns and cities allow pushing to the opposite curb.

Check with your local town or city hall. wouldn't want to get a fine now would you.

10. PINEISLAND1

from WEST MI

So your not using Eblings newer blade with the pump mounted on the bumper? You have long hoses running under all your trucks like mine are?