question for lgf

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Mar 18, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i read your post on priceing per sq ft.for mowing can you explain more in detail if i had 10,000 sq ft lawn $1.25 a sq ft for that you would charge $12.50 cents to cut it.is there a stop charge.also how do you charge for edgeing and blowing.im sorry for bringing back the same topic but i really apreciate the info .thanx ronnie

2. TSS

TSS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ron,

The pricing formula increases when the sf of the lawn decreases.

Example = lawn under 20k = 3.00 per sf
    lawn over 20k = 2.00 per sf
    lawn over 44k =1.25 per sf

Then the degree of dificulty will need to be added into the price.
    Depends on what your market will allow though.

3. ronslawncare

how about chargeing for edgeing by the linear ft. and blowing walks.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you cant just look at a lawn and estimate how long it will take to mow, then your in the wrong business!

I guess it comes with experience, but all these formulas give me headaches! You can always compare a new lawn to one of your existing lawns and estimate from there. If its real big, think of how many "smaller" lawns fit inside this big one....Then add them up!

Seems too many people are overthinking the estimating process. :rolleyes:

5. ronslawncare

thats being of no help.why guess when you can get it precise and know the sq ft for seeding ,fert ,or mulch for beds .why not measure everything from the start and keep it filed.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If you cant look at a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1, + etc lawn and estimate the time it will take to mow, trim, and blow, then your barking up the wrong tree. Sorry I can be of no help! As for fert and mulch, it kinda follows the same rule of estimation, NOT guessing!

If you need the sq footage of a property, go to your counties website and look under property assessment. Mine lists everything from house and property sq/footage to how many bathrooms!

7. ronslawncare

i guess if your that lazy you should look it up .yeah your right anyway thanks for the great help.i asking how to price each property by the sq ft not not the way tls does business.i already know how to do it your way.

8. TSS

TSS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Yes it will tell you the sf of the property. Will it also tell you the sf of the new in ground pool they just put in along with the new deck they built on the back of the house?? To someone who is just starting out they don't have the luxury to allow for this. I guess to each their own but I agree with ron.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not lazy. I do it my way because that is the most efficient way that I can do it!

If you want exact, measure on of your existing properties and figure out a formula for yourself that comes out "mathematically" correct for the prices you are charging.

My eyes haven't been calibrated in a while, but I can still look at a property and "see" what I will charge that particular customer. It isn't rocket science, but estimating is a VERY important part of this business.

The only thing you should be measuring for is a patio or walkway, as brick and materials are non-returnable.

10. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I agree with TLS- if you cant look at a lawn and figure how long it will take to mow maybe this isn't the right biz for you. I'm too damn busy doing the work to spend my time measuring and adding stuff up. If you like numbers that much maybe you should be an accountant .