1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for midwest LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Aug 26, 2006.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Here in central Indiana we are 35% above our average yearly rainfall thru the middle of August which of course has made the grass grow like crazy. Most of my customers fertilize and some, who are gluttons for punishment, water everyday on top of the excessive rain. My solution has been to mow these lawns on a 4 to 5 day schedule when needed. I can do that because I am a part timer and have some extra time available. My question is those of you who have a full schedule and must stick to a 7 day rotation, how do you do it? How do you avoid spending twice as long at each yard when the grass is so tall and since we are, in effect, selling our time to them do you raise your fee?
  2. indy2tall

No midwest LCO's on here today?
  3. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

I just do what I can to try and blow it around when I'm there. I have a lot of yards that do need to be on a 5 day schedule but I'm not doin it. Takes up too much other time for all that jackin around. They just have to live with it.:walking:
  4. indy2tall

Most of my customers live in $300,000 or higher homes and will not simply put up with it so that is not an option for me.
  5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have some that are on a 2 mowings per week schedule. Same day every week. One mowing on Tues. and the other on Fri. I have set days for this and I will not cut every 5 days, cause I need them to be on the same day each week. If the customer is not willing to let me cut twice a week, well then they will have to deal with the hay field look or slow down on the water, fert, etc.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have been forced to bag quite a bit this year. I would never had guessed I would pull out two truck loads of grass the second to last week of August in less then a day.

To me when I leave a house, my name remains at that house as far as the quality of the work being done. People don't know if the customer is cheap, all they know is the guy mowing the lawn left it a hack job. I do what it takes to make the house look good. $300,000 plus homes look nice, and their lawns are expected to as well. I have to much work to cut on a 5 day schedual, nor would most folks tolerate being cut more often then once a week. My profit per hour is not quite as high, but this is the best grass cutting year I can remember. I am excited when I see guys leave a mess in the yard, it just maybe I will be cutting it in the near future.

One final note. When you get to the point that you don't care what the end result looks like, you might be near the end of your run in the business. People will get you down, and all the bills and hastles will get you down, if you can not find the enjoyment of making a lawn look great, you don't have much motivation. Just my opinion.
  7. DLCS

I think giving away my time and money would get me down more. My customers do not run my business. I'm not saying I don't go the extra step sometimes but I will not make a habit of it. I will not bag a lawn for free cause the customer wants to over fertilize and water. Just my opinion.
  8. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

you answered your own question, charge accordingly..I know what you are saying, it can be frustrating...especially when it is hotter than hell and you feel like you are getting ripped...keep your head up the rain will let up- it always does..
  9. DLCS

I wasn't the one with the question.
  10. indy2tall

Your post gets to the heart of what I am talking about. Your solution to grass growing like crazy is too bag it for the same price? In my experience that means instead of an 10 hour day mowing you will now have an 14 hour day once you add up the time it takes to bag it and the time spent dumping your truckloads of grass and cleaning out the truck bed. Even if I were willing to give away my time for free (something I will not do) there are simply not enough hours of daylight to do that on a consistent basis so perhaps you can explain how you do it. How many hours a week do you normally mow? Also why in the world would you give your time away? A carpenter, a lawyer, your accountant, a Walmart employee.....nobody works for free, why do you just because the grass is growing a lot?