Question for Mower/Power Equipment Dealers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pugs, Sep 8, 2006.

1. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I had this posted in another section but only got a few options to look into. I thought there might be more shop people lurking around in here with some good info....

What if any software are you using for invoicing/inventory/accounting and what not?

We do most everything on paper right now and I would like to move it all onto the computer to try to get things more organized and have less paperwork to deal with.

We are a pretty small company so I dont really need alot of advanced features or what not...only use it on one computer.

So which ones are good, which ones stink...which ones are crazy expensive, which ones are not? I started looking into one a while back. I think it was Ideal...I just laughed at them when they told me what they charge. For that kinda money I will write some software specifically for our company.

Anyone using an off the shelf software not specifically made for power equipment use? If so, which one and how well does it do the job?

I appologize if this is in the wrong forum...feel free to move it if there is a better spot to post it.

2. JHIGGS

JHIGGS LawnSite Member

Take a look at this program. I use it, not real hard to use. I looked at some of the other BIG NAMES and they were Way to much $$$$. Rent it for a year for $30.00. Free download to try it out.
    http://www.fasterbooks.com/

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What if any program are you using for parts lookup?

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We are using PartSmart and ProQuest. We are starting to use more and more web based parts look. PartSmart costs an arm and a leg and you get charged to each OEM separately. And now PartSmart 8.1 has a hidded file in it that causes PartSmart to load every time you try to open ProQuest. PartSmart and ProQuest are fighting over it and who knows where it will end. More and more IPLs are on line on and they are FREE if you know where to look. A few shortcuts pasted on the desktop and way you go. If you have DSL ins some cases it will load as fast if not faster then some of the CD bases (saved to hard drive) will. Before buying any parts look up software check out what yo can find on line first. No need to buy more than you have to.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My shop is also running partsmart for a majority of the oem lookups. Redmax is a seperate file. We have the proquest software for tecumseh. I absolutley hate partsmart 8. Its the worst, we have all new computers in the shop and it just sucks and slows the system down. While we have 8.1 installed, we are still using the older version.
    The tecumseh program isnt the easist to use either and my boss dont like it.

As far as workorders and parts orders go, we are still doing it the old fashioned way but once my boss retires and I take over things, after a major renovation on the building, I'm gonna get all our workorders, parts orders, parts inventories on computer to streamline everything.

We currently are using excel sheets to sort data for belts for a few big companies. Its a lot easier than it was because now we know what shelf or hook the belt is on or near. Before I started working on that early this year, we would stare at the wall for who knows how long to see if we had the belt we needed. (all this while you got customers standing at your counter getting annoyed)

My manager currently caters most of our sales to residential customers. Our commercial lines are decnt but If I get to take over, I am probably going to bring on another brand of commercial equipment as well as start stocking mulch and stone and what have you. My manager sells christmas trees around the holiday and we usually have good sales from that but I really think we could increase profits by stocking some bulk materials. (all of the landscapers we deal with go to another dealer that sells muclh or to a local farm and nursery and my boss always says hes going to start stocking it but I am almost posotive it wont happen till I get it going!)