1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for pre aquascape pond builders

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Tom S, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Tom S

Tom S LawnSite Member

How important do you feel mechanical skimmers and filtration systems are to the health of a garden pond? I have built ponds with the "Aquascape System" and the "No System". I have seen many of these "No Sytem" ponds that are chrystal clear and free of algae. The ponds happen to have a good balance of fish, plants, and other aquatic life. I have also seen some that are a total mess. This holds true for the "Aquascape System" also. I have seen both clean and messy ponds.

Isn't one of the goals, when building a garden pond, to build a balanced ecosystem? Can this be done without the expensive and ugly filter systems and with the same effort you would expend if using one of these systems? I would like to hear from some bond builders that use the "No System"
  2. ponderbrown

ponderbrown LawnSite Member

Accomplishing a balanced ecosystem in a non-aquascape water feature is a matter of patience. no-system ponds have to cure longer to achieve superb clarity, if and only if, its own nature biota of bacteria establish themselves with a proliferation of plant growth, i.e. hyacinth & water lettuce. The aquascape system can look bad if too many fish are put in and not enough plants, etc too!

IF the pond is done right from start with an aquascape unit and not overloaded, you'll achieve clean water much quicker then with a pump/no filter system. Still, plants are the key and time! :blob3:
  3. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

How can you call something "balanced" if you have to clean it out on a regular basis?