question for pro aplicators only

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bobbygedd, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i met a guy, who has worked on a golf course for many years. this is what he said to me:" i have never done residential work, but if i did, my lawns would be done like this- seeding with 70% blue grass, 30% rye. fert programs would be- 4 aplications throughout season of 0-0-15. the potasium is all he wants. then, in the fall, sept, oct, november each recieve an aplication of 25-10-10 with 2% iron. one pre emergent in the spring, liquid containing no fert. insect and weed treatments strictly on an "as needed" basis." does anyone agree with this program?

2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

No. There is no universal program for every part of the country. I don't like the sounds of it at all for my area thats for sure. What do some of you other guys think?

3. Yes, their is no universal program for all cool season turf!

Assuming cool season turf

generally on the right track in theory, but NEED to know more information!!!!!

Seed would vary from area, use of turf, clients expections & budget, a growing conditions!
    Timing of applications depends on your zone, source of n, and % slow release!
    GENERALLY, 2/3 to 100% of n should be applied in fall for cool season turf!!!!
    Weed, insect, and fungus control only done as needed

When is the 0-0-15 application?
    scource of k in 0-0-15?
    how many lbs/m of 0-0-15

For the 25-10-10 applications:

% slow release of n?
    source of slow release n?
    is k source mop or sop?
    How many lbs/m per apllication

Generally, from information given, I believe a better program the most lawn care companies do! But I hold judgement until my questions are answered!

4. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Southern California...we have no "cool" season. Our winter is about a month and a half long. Just enough time for the annual rye to come up and die off.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

That program would be a disaster in most of the mountain west states where soil is already high in K, very little rainfall during the growing season to bring additional N and wild temperature swings. PH in most areas also ties available fe in the soils, making in effect, a 3 month period to make up for 5 months of stress...nice!

6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

cool season yes I would add a red or creeping fescue to that mix just to help give a fuller look plus get the benefits of fescues in a lawn. As far as the lack of nitrogen we don't need it really until july then it's to dry and hot. Nitro just adds problems really it is almost equal good versus bad. Insect and disease control only as needed is a must. Don't put it down if you don't need it.

7. 4x4_Hunter

4x4_Hunter LawnSite Member

Isn't fescue the first to bite the dust when a drought is present? That is what my lawn seems to do.

8. Fine fescue are very drought tolerant, and turf type tall fescue, once establish, will handle drought well.

Most people over irrigate cool season turf, they get too hung up on color!!!!!

I was a gc superintendent at a course in central ill, they had overseeded the fairways FOR A NUMBER OF YEARS WITH A NK BLUE RYE mixture (70/30 blue/rye?), any way, one year in several places the slit seeder drop to the ground while operator was traveling between fairways, seed got establish (mostly the rye) these strips where almost as green as the irrigated fairways! You see, perrenial ryegrass will do quite well without irrigation, in fact irrigating it will lead to problems like pythium and gray leaf spot!

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Tim,

The fine and red fescues were the first to go dormant in my area this year.

10. But did they DIE?