Question for Quick36 Super Duty owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by imograss, Nov 18, 2005.

1. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering the Super Duty Q36. My main concern is the overall width of the mower when going thruogh gates. The specs say the mower is 39 1/2 wide chute up. I would like to know if this will fit through a 40" gate, of course I know it is a 1/2" difference. If it will not go straight through, can you angle the trim side in first and go in at an angle? It seems to be a good machine with a good price as well, but it won't do me any good unless I can eliminate the 21" Lawnboys. Thanks in advance.
    Tim

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I own the quick 36 with the same deck, and I fit it through some gates that it won't go through straight, by "hooking" it around the gate on the trim side.

a 40" gate at the posts are no problem at all, just drive straight on through.

if you have a gate 38" at the posts or larger, it can squeeze through. any smaller, and it is a bit tricky. I find that I can get through them easier with the dicharge chute off, it reduces the width to about 38 and 1/2". I have had some scary moments when the discharge chute has caught on a vynil fence, and I couldn't go either direction for a little bit.

as far as my comments on teh deck itself,

I would say it is one of the best decks out there, I have NEVER had it clog on me, and it chops up the clippings super fine.

for the cons, the discharge chute is the only thing that I realy don't care for. I know it is a safety device, but no one will ever use it if with it in use, it doesn't do a good job. if you put it all the way down, it will sometimes catch on turns and hills. I usually just leave it up, because it will windrow with it down. with the discharge chute up, it will shoot it 3 rows over with high lifts.

3. docta

docta LawnSite Member

I own a Super Duty and I haven't had trouble with any gates as of yet. The way I see it, the most you would have to do is spend a couple of minutes and take the chute off.(2 bolts that are right on top) This mower is too good to let that be the deciding factor on you getting it or not.(IMO) But to answer your question. Yes, this mower will go through a 40" gate.

4. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

Quick 36 owner here. The two above post are 100% accurate. I don't use the chute unless I'm mowing our practice soccer field. The chute is heavy duty and digs up grass if your not completely level. I am very please whith the mulch plate. It's hard to critize this machine. Very well built and excellence communication when you call. I would definately recomend this machine, not sure about their step saver (sulky).

There sulky is heavy heavy duty. Really too heavy for me. I don't use it unless doing large flat areas. The wheels on the sulky could be bigger and I would like to see one connecting point in the back instead of two cotter pins on the back. Of course if Gary Patridge(Quick 36 builder)was to read this HINT HINT. I would want a sulky that is very light and strong(maybe other type of metal) with bigger tires and maybe some small springs under the platform for a nice ride. Also be adjustable for the distance being pull behind. Also it would be nice to be able to lift or hang it up to the handle bars while you don't need it and still mow without it being in the way or flopping around. Yes I know I might be a bit unrealilistic. Just brainstorming.

MV

5. TClawn

MV, what you need, is a proslide. It was the sulky I wish gary had offered, but not to be I guess. I went ahead, and put a proslide on the quick 36, and love it. not good if you have hills that will tend to pull you to one side while standing on it though, but my areas are mostly flat, and the hilly areas I would walk anyway.

6. MV Property Care

MV Property Care LawnSite Member

Hello TC. Yes I have thought about the proslide and I have saw your video's. It looks like it works very well for you. But I do have hills and I weigh about 235lbs. Is your proslide up and running again. Last I read you broke a bolt or something. MV

7. imograss

I appreciate the replies. I was between the S.D. 36 or a Lesco 32 or 36 belt drive. I think you have made my mind up.
    Many thanks
    Tim

8. TClawn

yes, the proslide is up. all that happened, was that a bolt jiggled loose, which attests to the vibes that the 13hp puts out, it was a whizlock nut too. I believe that they fixed this on the 16hp, and it is a good thing. I personally want a 17-19 hp v-twin on it, and a 8mph top speed. that I could go flat out in those large back yards that only grow .5" a week in the summer. but I guess it is really not what the quick was designed for, which was simplicity, and ease of use.

btw, I weigh 240lbs, and the 13hp pulls me without a problem. maybe a bit of strain going up a hill, but not bad at all.

imograss, when you first get a hydro machine, if you don't own one, you will find that the hydro feels a bit "jumpy" I assure you, it really softens up to silky smooth in about a month.

9. imograss

I have Deere 54 hydro (17hp single cyl. Kawasaki).

10. TClawn

ok, you should be used to the hydro controls then.

when I first got the mower, I was litterally starting and stopping on a dime, because I wasn't used to the responsiveness.