Question for Rex Mann

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Qualey, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

What recommendation do you have for base prep when building raised patios at newly constructed residences? Typically the final grade is not in and we need to elevate for a final pation height of 24-48" depending on the job. To date I have had no problems but just curious what has worked for you. We typically build up with a mixture of 3/4 minus stone with a gravel mix that is conpacted every 2-3". Stones sit in a bed of 1" sand for pavers, 2-3" for cobbles, bluestone, etc. I'm trying to avoid settling of fresh material. Furthermore, this may not be an issue in Arizona, but here nobody wants to install gutters on their new pseudo-mansions. Water comes off the tall roofs at great velocity and pounds the pavers either into the ground over time and washes the sand out. Sealer does not seem to help. Any suggestions?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not Rex, obviously, but it sounds like you are doing it the right way. Compacting in lifts, that is.

As for not wanting gutters, I can understand that if it's in a heavily wooded area. If not, then I don't understand why not.....

To solve it, install a trench drain in the pavers directly underneath the eaves. If the clients don't like that look, you might be able to pour a concrete pad that is 2-3' wide under the eaves, making sure it is at the appropriate hieght to lay the pavers on. The sand may still wash out, but the concrete should help to avoid the settling issues.