Question for scag turf tiger owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Oct 27, 2007.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I've got a TT, 27 koh, 61" advantage deck, and I've noticed that grass & debris ALWAYS get caught under the right side (discharge side) spindle cover...the grass really packs in there under the belt/spindle guard...and I'm wondering if yours does this as well, and also, would this cause higher temps on that spindle (and possibly early failure)?

ECO

2. dbroken64

dbroken64 LawnSite Member

I do not have a turf tiger but I have a wildcat that does the same thing. You have to keep it cleaned off after every day of cutting to keep it free, I blow my deck off after every yard or two to keep it clean. Once a week I remove the covers and give it a good cleaning.:waving:

3. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

Mine does the same thing. I have the 61 advantage deck as well. Why are you not blowing off the deck after each lawn. To get things to blow off easier, I spray the deck (top and bottom) once a week with cheap spray on cooking oil.

4. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

While installing my new bagger I found under the cover packed with grass never looked under the cover before guess I need to look more often.

5. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

mine does it also....I clean mine out every couple of days.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

My Tiger packs also.....I think it will hurt on temperature. I wonder what the risk would be to run with the guards off? It is almost impossible to get the stuff out with guards on unless you do it after about every cut and that is a pain.

7. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

must scags around here always takes the shoot off. and i have done the same. i have no problems after you take it of and it spreads the grass out more.

8. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

I'm not a LC...just a homeowner with 12 acres to cut...I DO blow it out after each cut, but seriously, you can totally clean it out, mow for 10 minutes and it will be packed full again...only the right side. I'd hate to take the guard off...safety issues....and I don't think I want to try and modify anything to help prevent grass from getting in there...anything I can think of would probably come into contact with the belt...so I'm left with wondering if anybody had had to replace TT spindles specifically on the right side...?Any other thoughts?

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Take the chute off and forget about the problem, I have never run a chute on any zero turn mower. I have the rubber chute on my Super Z and keep it turned up at all times, it just gets the grass out of the deck faster and more uniform.

I'm like you and cut 15 plus acres of personal property and never saw any difference as far as safety, but I'm not around anyone while cutting either, all situations are different.

10. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

i have a old turf tiger with the flat deck and had the same problem. I took the gaurds and shoot off and it hardly clogs now as it just blows off the deck as i mow.
    it wont hurt to run without them, just have to be careful of what is around you and for anything like sticks hitting the top of the spindles.