Question for solo operators with ZTRs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coolluv, Feb 25, 2007.

1. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Ok your by yourself and you are mowing someones lawn and the Z stops running. You try to figure out what the heck went wrong. But you cant and you are going to have to get it on the trailer. You loosen up the hydro bolts on the pumps to make it free wheel. But how the heck do you get it from the yard back to the trailer by yourself? And if you do how do you get it on the trailer? I was thinking a come along for getting it on the trailer, but that sucker is heavy. How do you get it from the yard to the trailer by yourself?

I have a walk behind hydro and thought that I might be able to pull it with it.
    Has this happened to anyone and if so what did you do? I was just thinking about this and thought what the heck would I do?

I would love to hear some answers.

Thanks Dave...

2. mosmgras

mosmgras LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I had a trailer once with an electric winch bolted to the front. That set-up worked well to load equipment that couldn't load it's self. If you didn't want to spend that kind of money, maybe a hand powered winch, like on a boat trailer, would work.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

a come along will get that up on the trailer no problem

4. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck LawnSite Member

walk behind works great i use my 13 hp hydro 48 wb to pull my 60 toro z when it gets stuck in the mud or gets hung up on something

wb and tow rope youll be fine i also pulled my z with a belt drive 36 it works good too

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My old Walker makes a good tow unit for my Hustler S/Z. I always carry 2 machines........

6. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

one time I was mowing a lawn for some one and it was spring the home owner drove his nissan truck on the lawn and left ruts so I got my z stuck and could not get I was lucky it was 15 feet from the drive way so I un hooked my trailer from my geo tracker and took one of the ratchet straps off the trailer and used it as a rope and pulled it out slow in four wheel drive

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

get the other z to pull it out, or if you dont have another z then walk down the street and find someone who does.

I had this happen last year, I didnt have my 2nd z on the trailer cause I did not need it that day. I was mowing next to a fence that I didnt realize was so muddy and damn if I did not get stuck. I found another lco down the street who had a chain and a scag and he just happened to be leaving. He was more than willing to pull me out.

Same thing happened another time, I was mowing close to some a lake edge and pushed it just a little too far and got buried again. Again I did not have my other z with me, so I walked to the street waited for another lco to drive by, I flagged him down and he was more than willing to pull me out as well.

In both situations a come along would have been useless cause there would have been nothing to anchor it to.

Oh yeah, another time last year my big z ran out of gas and the stupid kohler would not crank back up once I filled it up. despite my best effort, it would not start. There were some mexicans working across the street and they were more than willing to help me muscle it back on the trailer. They did not even speak english, and I did not speak spanish. We managed though. and yes again I did not have my other z with me.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If I can't get it on the trailer by myself, then I call friends to come help.

9. Mow It All llc

Mow It All llc LawnSite Member

I had it happen this summer......i locked the engine up and was in a back yard. I used my walk behind to push it on.....it went up easy enough

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e been in the situation many times. Yes, when I have another Z mower I will pull it to the trailer and push it on. Of course I will make sure I can't fix it where it sits first! Most of the time it's just a belt, and if you are wise you will have spare belts and tools with you at all times!

If worse comes to worse, and you have no other machine to assist, you are alone and it's not fixable. Iv'e heard of guys using their TRUCK to pull the mower onto the trailer with a rope. Of course you still have to get the mower TO the back of the trailer... If you can't do that (if it's uphill or something, or just way too far), well you are FUBAR and you best find a phone and start calling some buddies!