1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question for solo operators.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Apr 14, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

this is my first year going solo. figured out i could make more money this way with the amount of customers i have. anyway, it seems if i work 6 hours and under, i'm good to go all day. but if i exceed 6 hours my dph dip because i get tired and cant work as fast. my question is, does this go away when i get used to working by myself or is this something i should just expect? thanks for replies.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I work a ful time job and usually work an additional 2-6 hours per day after I get off. 6 hours a day is unrealistic.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I have the same concerns as well. I'm older and if I work hard for 8+hrs, I'm ragged out. I did this for a while though and did notice over time I could go longer when I wanted. It's the long break in between that gets me. Once I get started again, I'm ragged again for weeks to get myself back up to speed.
  4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

The season hasn't even gotten into full swing yet. 6 hours is a super short day! It would be a good idea to start working as many hours as you can now before the heat of the summer and the rains begin. Once that happens and the grass is up to your eyeballs everyday along with all of the extras you won't be home for 10+ hours a day.

Eat some decent food, if you are eating fast food burgers/tacos or whatever chain type fast food you enjoy, stop and start packing your lunch with good food that will give you some real energy. And don't bother with Redbull or the other energy drinks that will actually dehydrate you while you are working in the heat each day.

Good luck, get ready because the season is on its way ready or not! :cool2:
  5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

For me it depends on what I'm doing. Mowing I'm good for a long day, Mulching/clean ups I'm good for about 6-8 hrs. You have to rember that in general (at least the employees I had), take there time ALL DAY. Whereas as an owner I want to get it done & go home. So I'm most likely acomplishing more in 6hrs than employees could of in 8+. I came to this realization early on when I had a helper quit, I could accomplish the same route (mowing) in ussally 2 additioal hrs (went from 7+/- to 9+/-).
  6. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Its is nice not baby sitting, but 6 hours? thats like a warm up to get your groove on!
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

ditch the fast food!-eating healthy makes a huge diff + you wont gain as much weight. i feel much better on the subway diet!
  8. ALC-GregH

from PA

If I can make around 5-6 bills a week after I pay into all the weekly expenses, I'll be happy. I'm not looking to kill myself but then again I feel the same way Mike does. I've always worked as fast as I could work without mistakes to get finished the job. This was working on autos for the last 20 years. My come back rate was lower then just about every person I worked for and worked with. In the auto industry, you'll never have a perfect record, although mine was/is very low, I made mistakes along the way. I intend on having the same outlook with mowing. I want it to be perfect and be done in the most efficient way I can without a mistake. Just remember, mistakes WILL cost you MORE money then you actually made. 1) being the ability to make money when your correcting a mistake, you just lost that time that could have been used to actually make money, 2) being the lost income or extra fuel or cost from doing the job over again, 3) the potential lost customer from the mistake or future lost income from time spent trying to gain more work.

Makes perfect sense to me.
  9. ALC-GregH

from PA

I'm guilty of this and need to get in shape. I'll be eating better for sure. I don't drink but I smoke. Although I don't smoke much if I'm working/sweating. My gut is big but I'm thin. That came from eating way to late in the evening (8-9pm) and going to bed on a full stomach. Hopefully that will shrink in the next year or so. :weightlifter:
  10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Greg, Ive been a mechanic for almost 25 years, Im currently doing lawn care on the side.
    I dont see how you can feed a family on 500-600 per week, I can't and Im debt free. Ya 6 hour days would be nice but I just dont see it happening atleast not for me.