1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question for solo operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by montiac30, May 1, 2008.

1. montiac30

montiac30 LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you solo guys do if something happens to you.My appendix ruptured last year in the middle of growing season.I was out for a few weeks.Just wanted to know if you have a backup plan?I was lucky and had a buddy to take care of my customers for me.
  2. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

good question...I haven't been sick in ten years.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yes very good question for solos....I would not have anyone to call on to help out much less trust to do the kind of job I am used to doing. If I was injured or sick long term, may have to give up my weekly contracts.......
  4. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

Thats a really good question, I've been blessed with some really good friends that have been mentoring me locally in this business and they would graciously cover for me. Both are large enough that they can send one of their crews out to take care of my accounts for me if the need should arise.
  5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Good question, Id be screwed
  6. CJOutdoors

CJOutdoors LawnSite Member

I'd be screwed too. Have to start over.

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

If I could drive I'd hire day labor. If not there are landscapers I could call (wouldn't want to though). Or if just a week or so I'd call my clients and tell them the deal, they would wait no problem (good thing about having customers for average of 10 years).
  8. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I have friends and family.Also past part time employees want work again.I'll stay solo for now.:walking:
  9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Keep on mowing. Even with crutches. If it won't kill you then you just got to get r done and live with the pain:weightlifter:
  10. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

have my wife do it