1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for Southern lawn pros

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brettmc, Feb 21, 2003.

1. brettmc

brettmc Banned

What do you Southern (non-snow states) do to put bread on the table and bones in your pocket during the winter?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Leaves pretty much all winter. Some landscaping projects. I do lots of estimates in Jan and Feb scheduling jobs for March thru the rest of the year. Allows me to relax in Jan and Feb to some degree. If the rain will let up, we will be back working full time next week.
  3. Leaves and trees are keeping me busy. At least we get a little snow.
  4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

leaves, mulching flower beds, cleaning out gutters.... thats about it; unless you have a winter job.
  5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have year round payments total per month over 5000.00
  6. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I do 1 visit a month in the winter and 3 visits a month in the summer and pro-rate the $ over the course of the year. Get paid the same in the winter as the summer and only do 1/3 the work;)

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

The answer for me is ANNUAL CONTRACTS. It usually means visits to the sites are only once every 2-3 weeks in December thru February (our benefit) time to get caught up on proposals and get equipment ready for the coming months. The grass just seems to grow all year long (it was 90 degrees today believe me It's growing). Some of the other LCO's will do pressure washing and mulch jobs in the winter.:)
  8. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Nov-Dec leaf removal
    Jan-Feb Pruning,Pre-M
    Mar Start preparing turf
  9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Clean-ups... Stump grinding... Just bought new tractor.....Now more clean-ups...stump grinding...grading...material haul n spread...loader work...tilling...leveling...post hole digging...L. duty clearing...bushhogging...small tree removal...brush clean-up...construction clean-ups.

Can't keep up.....the rain along with this cast on my right arm is killin me. Get the cast off next Wed. and maybe the rain will hold off for a few days.
  10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Annual contracts. Don't work without one.