Question for Stihl BR 380 from a beginner.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by weicm3, Feb 3, 2008.

1. weicm3

weicm3 LawnSite Member

What's the correct gas oil ratio for this blower? I thought 50:1 but someone told me 40:1 is the correct ratio suggested by manufacturer.

And what's the oil you use? must I use stihl brand 2cycle engine oil? how about lowe's pro-mix brand?

By the way, what's the correct procedure to start it? 1-2 pull with choke on and then pull with choke off until it starts? do I need hold the throttle while pulling? And I don't see the primer button on this machine though. not required on this?

any suggested maintenance I should follow?

last question... :) what's the electrical plug like thing right above the choke switch?

2. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

I may be wrong but I think all or most Stihl is 50:1. Everything Stihl I have is 50:1

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Unless its something that just changed in the past few weeks...everything is 50:1...I use the ''no smoke brand'' and stihl oil, I would stick to an oil with a good reputation such as stihl....a lesser grade of oil could cut short the life of your machine.
    As far as starting....I pull one time on full choke, 1 time on half choke, 3rd time with no choke and it usually cranks on the 3rd to 5th try....I dont use any throttle...stihls are famous for flooding.

wayne