Question for Stonehenge's Signature....

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Guido, Sep 3, 2001.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I'm puzzled no matter how many times I look, and I'm probobly looking so hard that I'm confusing myself!!

What is that at the right side of the sidewalk. It looks like a dirty dropcloth or something. I can't figure it out and its really bothering me for some reason!! :) (I have no life!!) ;)

Thanks!:confused:

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hey Guido -

I'm flattered by your interest...

Each of the pieces you see outside of the brick is a piece of limestone. The two on the top are weathered outcroppings (but small pieces, 100-300#). The piece on the right is a split-faced, saw-cut, bush-hammered piece of limestone that is the top step in a series. Saw-cut (at the quarry) to provide nicely uniform tops and bottoms, making them easy to use as steps. Bush-hammered tops and bottoms so that they look more natural and provide good footing, even when wet. Split-faced so that, well, it looks split-faced.

Each of the saw-cut stone is about 6" tall, 2' deep and 4' wide. They weigh 450-600#.

I wish I could spend every day setting stones like that. It's just all kinds of fun. My customers start looking at me like I'm goofy when I try to explain how much fun I have building with stone.