Question for SWD- Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by I am Me, Sep 25, 2003.

1. I am Me

I am Me LawnSite Member
    from D/FW

This question is aimed at SWD because he lives in my area and has excellent knowledge of Bermuda. But anyone that feels so inclined, please respond.

Scenerio:

Bermuda lawn is residential and the lot is on the side of a hill that runs downhill west to east. Front of house faces south so lawn is sloped to run south east away from the house. Lawn is approximately 8000 sq feet. In the middle of the lawn on either side (West, East) is an arizona ash and a Silver leaf maple. Both are muture 15 years old.

Problem:

Bermuda grass ( standard bermuda) at the top of the hill is thin, and full of bare spots. It is full of crabgrass, clover, and dandelions. Went over it with MSMA and cleared out most of the clover and the dandelions. Still have a problem with crabgrass. The bottom of the hill is thick and lush.

This leads me to 2 issues. Too much shade from the tree canapy, and top soild washing down to the bottom of the lawn.

Here is my question. If I thin the canapy and topdress the top area, will that help restore the lawn. Also, the soil is mainly clay as a result of them cutting the lot out of a side of a hill. If you were to start now restroring the lawn, what would your steps be?

No I haven't done a soil test. Need to. What fertilizer if any would you use, topsoil mix, etc. I have even thought of ripping it out and replacing it with St. augustine, but that is really a last resort.

Words of advice? :confused:

2. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Sun/shade is definitely an issue with bermuda, so if thinning the trees gives more sun, that should help. A good way to improve clay soil is to till in a good amount of compost. And a good way to prevent erosion is to till in a good amount of compost - makes water soak in rather than run off. I prefer organic fertilizers, but any fertilizer should help. May be good to even till some in if you do the compost thing. If no bulk compost is available, there are many good bagged products, such as Back To Nature Comosted Cotton Burrs. With bermuda there may be no need to reseed or sod, it should come back on its own. Don't know about Texas, but here it is getting a bit close to cold weather to be restoring bermuda. May be just enough time if you get right on it though.

3. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

Bermuda will not grow in shade.....well it will but never very good and will eventually die. It needs at least an average of 5 hours of sun a day to thrive. Do the soil sample and get someone that has a license to do the weed controll and fert if you are not. I would areiate next spring then sock the fert to it. If you/they are wanting grass in the shady area see if they will let you sod with zoysia.