Question for Texas guys

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Mar 31, 2008.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I just talked to a new customer who is from Texas (freeze damage call of course). He said down in Texas he had a zone that was used to keep the clay around his foundation moist, or else it would crack the concrete. I'd never heard of that before. Can anyone else explain?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Some people in Texas want a drip irrigation zone around the foundation constantly moist.

There are alot of factors that go into a non-cracking slab.

If the slab was not designed properly, then it's going to crack no matter how much drip you have.

It is dependent on a solid design, o.c. spacing of rebar, or post tension, interior beam depth and width, and exterior beam depth width.

Don't make any guarantees ever that a "foundation drip zone" will guard against foundation cracking. You'll just be asking for a lawsuit. Stay away from the liability. If you don't have clay soil, you don't need to worry either.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Concrete cracking isn't necessarily a complete disaster, as one industry authority would inform his lecture audiences. "Concrete is a material that cracks"

Mind you, homeowners watching water flow through a crack in a basement wall, aren't inclined to agree with that expert.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'd never do it here, as it has never been done here that I know of. And we always try to keep water AWAY from the foundation here. We have some areas of clay, but not much. Some homebuilders require a 3' barrier the home and any turf or plants. Or else it voids that warranty of the home or concrete or something to that effect.

Thanks for the insight.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The first home we bought was brand new. During the walk through, the first thing they told us is "the concrete WILL crack". But if it gets over 1/4" wide then there is a problem and warranty would take care of it.

Don't high rise building use a lot of concrete. Hmmmm..... Makes me feel safe. Same with Hoover Dam.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Do what I do, and make the perimeter beam 42" deep. Lotsa concrete for my slab, somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 yards. But it aint going anywhere, thats for sure.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We usually have full concrete foundations for basements.

9. hilltopldscp

hilltopldscp LawnSite Member

When we are lucky enough to get rain in Texas, if it has been dry for awhile(and it usually has), the clay will expand, causing foundations to shift. Also happens the other way, after a wet period, if the clay is not kept moist, it will dry and contract. The idea is to keep the moisture content of the clay constant.

10. gsxr1100

gsxr1100 LawnSite Member
    from mobile

I hear, not seen, the same thing in Texas. I live here and have yet to see it (near houston).