Question for the guys who still use 14 Gauge

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How do you wire up in timers with this many zones? This one is from my latest install. Its already cramped as is (Two 13 conductors and one seven conductor).

I can't imagine having 22 individual 14 guage wires in there.

Timer is a ESP24LX.

P1010048.JPG

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I call it a "pig tail". You run 18/13 to the controller from a 10" round outside and put an extra set of splices in a box just oustide or below where the timer is mounted. It's possible to make the 14 fit, but if running 14 into the controller is your choice, you need to work VERY clean and at final, when you are sure of your sequence, run the wires very tightly around the terminals and then insert them. zip ties or something similar help. You can't just run the wire over the top like your picture if your running large numbers of 14ga wire.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

As Bryan said, it can be done and it needs to be neat. Look inside a circuit breaker panel - the wires are not put in willy-nilly. They are squared off and cut to length.

Many commercial projects are spec'd that 14 ga UF be used and the project supt will check to make sure that it is done. They also have it in specs that there will be no splices allowed on runs less than 500' from controller to valve.

Question Jon. Why would you run 33 wires into a 24 station controlle? I could see 26 as that would give you the 24 stations and two commons from each bundle.

Jerry R

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Two 13 conductor wires run to the East and west ends of the property, each one has 9 zones on it, using a total of 10 wires each. This leaves me two spare wires already in the ground on each side just incase the homeowner wants some mist heads or drip added.

The 7 conducter runs to another yard area on the south side of the property and has 3 zones in it. However, again the homeowner and I discussed the possiblity of adding a drip zone, or perhaps mist heads, so I ran the extra wire.

I have 3 free stations in the controller at the moment, chances are I'll add 3 more zones down the road, and I won't have to rerun more wire.