Question for the pros

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Miller Rules, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Miller Rules

Miller Rules LawnSite Member

Were do you guys get your hedge trimmers sharpen at ,Do you do it your self if so how do you do it?

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Mine are sharpened at the local shop. I sharpen my mower blades but I let them do the hedge clippers.

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a file to sharpen our hedge trimmer blades and if they get bad I might use our Dremel tool.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have never in my life heard of sharpening hedge trimmers, I always thought this was something people talked about to waste my time, some kind of sick practical hahaha joke (like criss-cross aeration), those blades run against each other, they should self-sharpen for the most part like an electric razor. Yes, they need replacing after so many years, but that should be about it.

I have never sharpened my hedge trimmers, not in 3 years. They are still VERY sharp, dangerously so. And so long they cut, I ain't paying or doing squat.

Keep in mind I only use them about 1-2 dozen jobs/year or so, still, are you hedge trimming daily or what?

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the dremel tool and it does agood job. Just follow the angle of the blade. I took it to a shop and this is what they used and he charged me 25.00 to do it. I had the dremel tool already, so I got the file size I needed and been doing it ever since.

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We use a dremel tool or a file takes a while.