Question for the Pro's>>>>

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jul 8, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Ok..

I have an account where the installer put the mini click up on the freaking
    Gable end of the house.So the other day I went there to program the controller..It had just rained 2.5 inches of rain in the past few days...The controller is a 8 z Rainbird ESP lxi. What is the best way to bypass the rain-sensor..

are there various methods?

what works for all of you...

ED

EDIT:
    *sorry guys for not proof reading..can a moderator help me with my mistake?

2. It sounds like this is hardwired in. I suspect it isn't hardwired in at the clock or you would have already figured out how to bypass it. Where it enters the ground and splits the common I would dig it up enough to short the r/f sensor wires together and after checking it out unshort them. They do sell independent r/f sensor wire switches for hardwired r/f sensors. We always hardwire our r/f sensors into the box but a lot of contractors do it in the ground.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

it was wired to the common. if i recall correctly...

My question with the esp given both problems, what is the best way to get the system to fire up @ the controller?

Reset the controler?

How do you all do that?

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

You won't be able to reset the controller. It sounds as if the sensor is wired into the common in the valve box. If that's the case, then, the only way to override the sensor is to find the connection in the valve box and take the sensor out of the equation.

I quit using wired sensors a few years ago; I figured the extra cost for a wireless sensor is more than equalized by lower labour costs on the install and for troubleshooting in the future. If you actually do the "nice" wire in that Fimco was talking about (running the sensor wire to the controller rather than stopping at the box), it's probably cheaper initially to go wireless.

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

this wire goes directly to the common in the controler..it has a cut in it..I dis-conected the wire for the RS. still nothing fired up.

6. If you have bypassed the sensor and it ain't working you have a problem seperate from the sensor.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Man i was thinking the same thing......
    this sucks...

8. After you bypassed the sensor did you check to see if the wiring was good?

9. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Doesn't that clock have a rain sensor bypass switch?

10. We've gone wireless as well. We stock the replacement batteries because now I'm seeing a lot where the sensor batteries are dead. On my WM Smartline installs we have to hardwire in the monitor so it keeps us in practice. The smartline monitor still requires a 9 volt. I personally prefer hardwire over wireless. I have found that the batteries in the Orbit sensors a lot of the landscapers install for customers go dead a lot sooner than the Irritrol which is probably part of why they run 25.00 less per unit. My personal favorite when not using the WM is the hardwired in RAINBRAIN.