1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question for those of you who only mulch your lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Uranus, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm trying to find some ways to be more efficient with my mowing customers. Basically trying to save a few minutes per lawn and lighten up the truck. I currently bag 100% of my lawns. About 20 of the 45 lawns that I cut have dump spots on their properties. I have a dump insert in my truck and my dumping spot is 3 driveways down the road from my house so it is no problem for me to get rid of grass clippings. I bought a mulching kit for one of my 60" lazers and put it on friday night. I cut my lawn sat. and was not crazy about the few clumps it left behind. I WILL NOT be caught dead double cutting a lawn cuz of clumps. Remember I'm trying to save time not spend more time wasting fuel and my time. My lawn was not tall (maybe 4 days of growth) and I do not go crazy putting down fert cuz I'm cheap and hate pushing a spreader.

I'm looking for some tips to cut back on the clumping and what to avoid doing to save time. Been cutting grass professional for over 10 years and this is my first time with a mulching mower. So do betting I need to slow down, and not turn on driveways and sidewalks. Basically, I'm looking for any tips on how to be efficient with a mulching mower. Thanks
  2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow down a bit until you can learn to 'hear" when your mower is clumping. In some situations, like when crab grass is popping, you'll have to double cut.
  3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Do a quick once over the lawn with a blower just hitting any clumps or heavy clippings.
  4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Put the MEG MO blades on your mower and take the mulch kit off and get an OCDC for close spots. I have been mowing grass for more than 30 years and now with the MEG Mo blades no lumps or clumps in any lawns.
  5. MitchDaniel

MitchDaniel LawnSite Member

Most of my customers are out in the country, and they let me cut their grass at the height I prefer. With that said, I just raise the deck up slightly higher to let the grass feed out and spread evenly. I only mow fescue, so mowing higher is better for the grass anyway. Also, once I'm done you can barely tell that it is any higher. In my opinion, it looks better slightly higher anyway, and the customers agree. Your customers may be pickier than mine, but that is what works for me.
    I have a Exmark 60" Ultracut with the mulching attachment btw.
  6. Whitetail Landscaping  MA

Whitetail Landscaping MA LawnSite Member

I'm from your area and been in this business a while, but customers up here don't want the clippings on their lawn's. You tell them it's good for the lawn and they still want it bagged. That's why we charge 45 to 50 for lawns that could be 30 to 40.
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

We mulch 100% of our yards or we don't take them on as a client. When mulching, I've found that you have to use the factory mulch blades to obtain the best results. When mowing damp or wet grass, you have to slow down just a bit in order to prevent clumping. If the yard is overgrown somewhat, you'll have to double cut it.
  8. Uranus

from Mass

I figured that the crab grass would cause problems. I vowed to not double cut any lawn this year. If it becomes a problem then I guess I'll just bring both my mulching and bagging mowers with me. So far this year I have only had to double cut less than 5 lawns.
  9. Uranus

from Mass

I figured I would try to mulch everyone this week and see who complains. Then give them some BS about the bagging unit waiting for some new bearings or something to come in at the end of the week. So the mulching would be a temp thing to get by for a week or 2. Then give them the speech about how mulching gives back to the yard and reassure them that the lawn will be bagged next time.
  10. Uranus

from Mass

Not an option for me. I'm unwilling to walk my lawns with a blower to blow off clumps. I rather bag them one time and leave like I have been doing for years. BTW 1 acre and over lots, I only have one account with under 25K sq ft of lawn.