1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Question for those using liquid

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Fubba, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Is the AMS absorbed solely through the foliage, systemically, or both?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Centipede and St Augustine is very sensitive to concentrated fertilizer solutions. On those grasses, here is what I want. Irrigation right before application. Application of 1/2 lb N to be done in 2+ gallons unless watering in is done immediately.

3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

How do you handle lawns without irrigation?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Retired now. I was using a sprayer with a 6 gpm pump--Hypro GR232 or maybe 252. I used mostly urea which is a bit safer than Ammonium sulfate, I think.
    I used 3/4 pound nitrogen per thousand, above 80 degrees I used a half pound. Above 85 a quarter pound--plus about one-quarter as much potash. Applied about 2.6 gals per thousand sqft.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizer rate goes down, water volume goes way up. As in no more than 5 lbs of dissolved material per 10 gallons.

6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

The plant can only uptake .1 lbs of nitrogen through the foliar process. Everything elapse is taken up via the roots. If I am wrong on this someone please correct me. AMS had a higher salt content per nutrient value vs urea. I use AMS as an addendum with my UFLEXX and UMAXX because I have soils that are on the high end of the ph scale. I do not use it in the summer when it is hot. I then use a combination of Urea Triazone and my U fertilizers. If you don't have irrigation you need to dilute the fertilizer and apply less.

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I assume you mean "salt index" or "osmolality index" and not "salt content" as it's unlikely AMS or other N sources would contain any negligible amounts of sodium chloride or other chlorides.

8. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

You are correct, wrong wording on my part.