Question for those who backpack spray herbicides

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wildstarblazer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

What technique has given you the best results when spraying with a backpack sprayer. Swinging the wand back and forth like a pendulum motion or keeping it stationary in front of you like a boom while you walk?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

No swinging. Put in a 110 degree air inducted fan instead of the plastic adjustable nozzle. Install a CF valve or a regulator that can be set to one pressure on the trigger. Walk at a steady pace holding the nozzle fixed. If I am working with a single tip I rather have the fan oriented in line with the wand rather than perpendicular. That way I am holding the wand to the side of me and not walking into the spray.

3. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Who makes the fan and who sells them? I'm also interested in something that will give me more consistent results with the backpack sprayer.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

5. Nate'sLawnCare

Thanks for the info, I believe I have a recent Teejet catalog somewhere.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Agree with above but I haven't gotten that far yet. Still use the adjustable cone and it works just fine for very small lawns.

Also, don't plan on backpacking too many lawns. I thought that I would do a lot of lawns via BP when I first started. Ummm, nope. KILLS your back and shoulders after about the first 4-5 you do.

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Large areas , yeah , hold out in front of you and spray steady .
    For spotting here and there waving it around works .

Want something steady , try a electric back pack for more consistency

8. Nate'sLawnCare

Yeah, I have a 4.5 gallon unit and it's quite tough on the back when full. I'm planning to use it only for spot spraying and very small properties.

9. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

The problem of not using a back pack is that the cost goes from $150 to thousands for the right equipment.

Yea you can get a 25 to 50 gal electric spot sprayer for cheap but then you have to pull it around on your mower or get an ATV and then you have gas and electric involved in costs and repairs etc..

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You could also look at some of the new push sprayers on the market, either wheel driven or electric.
    Like the TurfEx one.