1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question For Those Who Bag Clients' Leaves

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by slapon, Nov 10, 2010.

1. slapon

slapon LawnSite Member

How do you most efficiently bag your clients' leaves? For instance, how many crew members do you have on a job and what is each of their function? Do you have one person holding the bag open with their hands and feet while another rakes leaves into the bag? Do you have another tie the bags and carry them away? Your feedback is much appreciated.
  2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

We use walker mowers to vaccum our leave then dump them in the dump truck. If we can't get access with the walkers we rake leaves onto a tarp and drag to the truck. That's the fastest way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i dont bag but for small cleanups i blow everything to the street and suck it up into the truck...for big jobs i have me using the BP blower and my friend using the WB blower to move leaves to the street to suck up. we are both working the whole time so there is no down time
  4. slapon

slapon LawnSite Member

I understand being able to tarp the leaves and load them in the truck is easier, but, for those who bag leaves, how is it best done?
  5. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to have my helper with me when I am doing leave but I have did them solo. I have a vac/bagger on my ZTR. I have my helper blowing out the beds and areas I can't get into while I run the mower. I find a spot to dump when the box gets full.I use gator blade so it shreds everything(much better for cleanup). When he gets done blowing he starts bagging.I have a very large dustpan that works great. When I get done with the mower one of us holds the bag and the other fills it.I use the 3mil thick bags so you can fill them up.
  6. slapon

slapon LawnSite Member

Regarding having a person hold the bag open, is it possible to do it without one individual holding the bag open as the other dumps it in?
  7. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes but it depends on if they are crushed,and if you can keep the bag open and upright. I have did it many times alone holding the bag open with one hand and using my big dustpan,Just not as fast.
  8. slapon

slapon LawnSite Member

Would being able to rake leaves directly into a bag without the need of a helper be beneficial, so long as the bag is being kept wide open?
  9. Mr. Mow it all

Mr. Mow it all LawnSite Member

Ok...........nothing can be put into a closed bag, so somehow the bag has to be held open either by another person or there are a number of contraptions on the market to help you do that if your doing it solo.
  10. slapon

slapon LawnSite Member

Let's go back to the original question. For those bagging leaves, what is the most efficient means to do it, and how much time does it take for you to fill a large bag?