1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

question for toro commercial 21 users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dave80, Aug 28, 2003.

1. dave80

dave80 LawnSite Member

I have a self-propelled Honda Harmony mower now. It has a 3-speed transmission, and the max speed is rated at 3.2 mph. I find this to be terribly slow, and despite the weight of the mower I can push it faster than the fastest speed (does get tiring after a while though). I am looking at Toro commercial units for next season. Their top speed is 4.2 mph. Wondering, for any of you that have used them, if they go fast enough. This is also the top speed that I have seen for a 21. Looked on JD's website but they don't have the specs listed for speed.
  2. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

I have a Proline that is about 2 years old now.

I had a residential Toro from the 70's that worked well and wanted the same features (blade break, two cycle, side to rear discharge). To get these features, I had to spend $1000 and get the commercial product.

Best damn $1000 ever spent. The rubber tires make a lot of difference. One thing I do not like is the weight, it is heavy.

This year, my son bought one. He is also very happy with it. Be careful, the dealer told him it was no longer offered in the 2 stroke but he was wrong.
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

It's pretty fast in 3rd gear. Like a brisk walking pace. I too replaced a Honda with this machine and believe me, it is much faster. These are definitely the best 21" inch mowers. Honda's pack the bagger a little tighter, but the Toro comes pretty close. The Toro mulches a lot better than the Honda.

Supposedly, they're not making any more 2 cycles, but that Kawasaki OHV is a great motor. I got the 2 stroke model, but if I had to do it a again, I would probably get the Kawi for reduced emmissions. I've got a 4.5 Kawasaki on an old JD 21", and it kicks azz, so I'm sure a brand new Kawi 6 HP is pretty darn good.

So pick one up, you won't be dissapointed. And while some of you may not agree with this, get the BBC model. It really rounds out this excellent machine.
  4. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

DON"T BUY INTO the tale that they don't have anymore 2 cycles. They told my son that and he pushed a bit until the dealer said, oh yes, they do make them.

They sell what they have or is easy to get.

Susuki is on the Toro.
  5. Rick Jones

from NY

Yes you can still get a Suzuki 2-cycle, but, and this is just what I've heard, they made the last of them at the end of 2002. Once those are gone, there won't be any more available. Now, again, that is only what I've heard, and why my original post used the word "supposedly."
  6. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

My dealer bought a large amount since they are not going to be available in the future. This is what I heard from my dealer. They have either stopped production on them or will in the future. They do not meet the future emission standards on small engines.
  7. O P M

O P M LawnSite Member

Not sure about that story either.........

I am not trying to be negative but what I am told is that there is no problem producing the 2 cycle for comercial use. It is somewhat like dump trucks (commercial) pouring polution into the air vs cars (residential) must run clean.
  8. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

I own the 2 cycle Proline but have used the model with the Kawasaki engine and it has more power. Does not bog down as easy. Requires much more maintenance though. You will be happy with the speed of it. The model with with the Kawasaki engine left very little stringers. The 2 cycle Suzuki leaves tons of stringers in thick St. Augustine and Centipede. I have to double cut often with it. Did not have to do this with the 4-cycle model. The dealer talked me into the 2 cycle model before I knew any better. He lent me the Kawasaki model as a loaner once and this is how I found out. If I were to buy again, it would be the Kawasaki for me. If slopes are an issue with you you might want to stick with the Suziki. My dealer told me Toro will soon be changing the Kawasaki to a Honda engine.

9. Rick Jones

from NY

The Kawasaki 4-stroke does feature pressurized lubrication, which, in theory, should provide adequate lubrication at extreme angles (slopes). Although, a 2 cycle with gas/oil mix really doesn't leave anything to chance.

I have also heard some speculation on the switch to a Honda motor and can't understand why. The Kawi seems like a great engine to me.
  10. Simone Lawn Service

Simone Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I just bought a new Toro Proline with a Suzuki this spring. It's been a great mower and I usually stay in second gear, I find third to be too fast unless the grass isn't very tall and the terrain is really smooth. My old mower is a Honda HRC 215-still going strong, and has been retired to cutting my lawn and as a back-up.